Farmers and Hunters aging. Recruitment issues in farming too.

BRITTMAN

Interesting USDA article. Farmers aging as fast as hunters.

View attachment 9806

Haymaker maybe surprised but I come from a pretty rural and very farm based ancestry. It is interesting to note that of all my relatives by birth and marriage, I can count two that stayed on the farm with their parents. Not only did most leave the farm they left the state.

I did not have that choice though, my grandfather owned the Dray line (grain, ice, coal) in town. His wife (grandma) came from a large farming family. On the positive - it is / was arguably some of the best whitetail land in the state if not the nation.

Investor Jim Rogers has been preaching on this since the early 2010's when I became familiar with him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rogers

I personally foresee with robotics that more and more Coasters (people with money on east/west coasts) will continue to buy farmland like this guy

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...loviev-is-one-of-america-s-largest-landowners

And as robotics and automated robotic tractors come on line they will own the land/farms and control the food supply - folks that stay behind in the midwest will be their slaves working on the farm for a pittance to oversee things. Folks in control rooms will be clicking things using weather/big data/AI to make decisions on what to do - as soon as robotics takes the work out of having to do anything the big money will take things over. It's close to that point - it will be like playing the farming game on your computer. I dont want to see this day but that's what it's coming to. Big ag and big industry continues to squeeze producers leaving them less and less profit - they'll be squeezed into selling to outfits like I described. I hope I'm wrong - but think it will go that direction. Robotics and Artificial intelligence will help this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Os5Okf3OQ

Interesting USDA article. Farmers aging as fast as hunters.

View attachment 9806

Haymaker maybe surprised but I come from a pretty rural and very farm based ancestry. It is interesting to note that of all my relatives by birth and marriage, I can count two that stayed on the farm with their parents. Not only did most leave the farm they left the state.

I did not have that choice though, my grandfather owned the Dray line (grain, ice, coal) in town. His wife (grandma) came from a large farming family. On the positive - it is / was arguably some of the best whitetail land in the state if not the nation.

I do not question your rural or ag roots. I do question that talking about the gravy train that farmers are on at the exact time that farm bankruptcies are way up and farmer suicides are also way up is indicating that the facts don't match the narrative. It can only make matters worse.

This aging business . . . yep, it's happening, and to me. I try to keep my legs in shape with regular walks so I can hunt the uplands come the season. I may have planted a hunting seed in a nephew who I took to bird ranch a few years ago. But he lives far away so I can't take him on my high plains hunts.

Back