Farm bill

Pride o presho

Curious if anyone knows what the newly signed farm bill has in regards to South Dakota CRP...
Also, I see hemp is legalized in the bill could this be a new crop introduced to SD? I could see hemp having great cover for pheasants. Interesting times.

Hemp is not what you may be imagining. Here in Western Colorado they are pushing hemp like no other.... the problem is they only want male or female plants??? I dont know or care which. But they are manually cultivated.. most with a plastic or fabric weed barrier. Anyway we had pheasants when I was a kid and a fair amount at that, now we don’t. Whatever the reason it is very debatable, but bottom line-they are gone and probably won’t be back. Hemp has not helped at all here. Maybe it will in SD?

Hemp hasn’t been grown commercially since 1937. Hemp plants grown commercially won’t get you high like marijuana. View attachment 8909Hemp would be grown like milo or corn. It could replace paper, clothing, packaging etc
I also found a article from 1971 that was written about the wild hemp growing in northern Missouri that is attracting upland game.

Hemp is grown here in Colorado and they are harvesting the seed for CBD oil and hemp fiber
https://wshga.com/
I farm here and I am fairly familiar with what we grow. Not even touching on the marijuana side of things.
Ps the pics on the link DO NOT look like the fields I see! On another note only the female plants have seeds.

https://coloradosun.com/2018/10/31/...ng-the-western-slopes-orchards-and-vineyards/
Here is another link! Montrose, CO my hometown. Hemp is not or was not federally legal but they seem to be able to use federal water to irrigate the crop, that has been a thorn in everyone’s *** here. Especially with our irrigation water being cut back to 50% this year due to drought/poor snowpack! The pic on the above link is a little more like the fields I see... plastic weed barriers and NO cover for anything.

Apparently some states could grow hemp but couldn’t transport it out of state. Now that hemp is legal to grow and sell in all 50 states I could see it becoming huge in SD.
I am curious how it will be to hunt hemp for pheasants, obviously the cover is outstanding and maybe the hemp seeds could be a good source.
The photo was from a 1970 article, they weren’t farming hemp it was just growing wild and upland birds were hitting it.

https://coloradosun.com/2018/10/31/...ng-the-western-slopes-orchards-and-vineyards/
Here is another link! Montrose, CO my hometown. Hemp is not or was not federally legal but they seem to be able to use federal water to irrigate the crop, that has been a thorn in everyone’s *** here. Especially with our irrigation water being cut back to 50% this year due to drought/poor snowpack! The pic on the above link is a little more like the fields I see... plastic weed barriers and NO cover for anything.
Interesting photo, first hemp field I’ve seen. I am surprised to see no cover, kinda reminds me of hunting juniper tree strips, but with no grass. Thanks for the info...I bet you could plant it in plots thick enough to hold birds

Wild hemp is very different from hemp grown for CBD. Since they have to remove male plants it becomes a sparse crop and the only way I am aware of to get the male plants out of the crop is by hand before pollination... a lot of foot traffic and human presence. Imagining the hemp growing wild in Nebraska or Kansas is great... it is not anything like what we have. Maybe it will be grown for the fiber and that may be different...

Other problem is it is harvested early and they hang it or put it in a controlled environment to dry. Fields look like a wasteland after they harvest.... well before pheasant season.

Very interesting and solid information, seems crops are staying in later and hemp being harvested early wouldn’t be the worst. I am looking for a hearty food plot and hemp still interests me

My ? Is if there is such a huge demand for hemp why wouldn’t they utilize some of the wild hemp growing in Nebraska or Kansas? THC levels may not meet spec. for the government but..... it’s already growing, doing well and has been for decades. The THC is what it is. But I’m no “Expert”
On another note- I think The CRP acreage increased but the way I understood the prices were cut substantially per acre.

I will say on a positive note, I believe bailing twine can be made from hemp fiber... Then if cows eat it they can digest it. But better feed the hay ASAP because it doesn’t hold up to rodents or the elements of nature very well.

As industrial hemp is about to change our lives in a big way, South Dakota is one of three states (Neb,Idaho) that have laws banning all forms of Marijuana. South Dakota is the only state with laws in place to ban CBD oil (hemp produced) these few lines written in the farm bill looks to have these laws remaing the same. I think SD is missing out on a game-changer crop that looks to have incredible cover. What a shameView attachment 9033

Back