False Pointing

chadsbritt

I was out with my dog yesterday and it seemed like he was going on point an awful lot only to find no bird. The wind was really whipping and we were hunting into it most of the day. Do you think the wind had a lot to do with it? Could it be he kept picking up on birds that were running on us? He has false pointed before, but not as frequently as I saw yesterday. Should I be concerned at all?

Yes the wind will have alot to do with it. Pheasant can be very tricky for a unexperienced young dog, they can even be a hand full for a experienced dog.

Was it a false point?

Remember this phrase as its been used for many years in training dog handlers to work detector dogs.( I assure you that the principle is exactly the same) ALWAYS TRUST YOUR DOG! Remember after alll you are the one that trained it. Truth be told,,, as the wind whipped it also carried bits and peices of the birds scent cone in which I am sure that you trained your dog to detect. His nose told his brain that the bird was right there because the wind blew large amounts of odor toyour dogs nose. Truth be told that those birds where moving way ahead of the dog and probably out of the field. Dont worry.. I assure you that the fun of the chase (Pray kill) is the altimate thrill for the dog. When the dog does not find a bird they only hunt harder. Good luck and be patient with your dog and oh yeh,,,,ALWAYS TRUSE YOUR DOG!

False Points

I was out with my dog yesterday and it seemed like he was going on point an awful lot only to find no bird. The wind was really whipping and we were hunting into it most of the day. Do you think the wind had a lot to do with it? Could it be he kept picking up on birds that were running on us? He has false pointed before, but not as frequently as I saw yesterday. Should I be concerned at all?

My guess is that you were on birds but, being late season, they were on to you and on the run. Your dog is incapable of lying, so the birds had been there.

Thnkas for the reassurance guys. I wa never that concerned about it; just wondering if other experienced the same thing. All those false points sure do keep my heart beat up.

Back