Eye Position While Shooting

Both eyes open, reflex shooting. If I take to long, such as following a dove, it is a sure miss, usually let them get to range I want then mount and shoot.

I saw something in the PF Fall 09 mag the other night. The add on pg 143 is for a "speedbead", it's a window with a red dot that mounts between the receiver and rear stock. It says that no matter where the red dot is in the window, that is where the shot goes. Has anybody tried this? I haven't checked the website yet, www.burrisoptics.com - I don't know if it would work with both eyes open.
I find myself shooting both ways, one eye open and both open.

First let me preface this by saying that I am far from a great shot.

Every person must do what works for them but if you think about it when you point at something with your finger you probably don't close an eye. Shotguns likewise are pointed and not aimed like rifles.

I keep both eyes open and try not to overthink the shot. You do what comes naturally. Keep both eyes on the target, forget about the bead at the end of the gun ( look through it) and follow through with the gun barrel as you shoot.

This is how I have the most success. I just need to find the time to practice more often.

I shoot with both eyes open for both shotgun and rifles. When I was a teenager I wanted to shoot jackrabbits on the run with a .22 so I read some books about how to do that. The books told me that I should get a low power, wide angle scope and then practice shooting with both eyes open in order to get on the target quickly and retain depth perception. After months of practice I was shooting rabbits on the run regularly and ever since then have been shooting with both eyes open.

LM

Both eyes open and let the eye hand coordination take care of the rest. If your gun fits you'll have a lot of birds in the bag :) When I miss I blame the gun :D

Back