Ever see one do this?

Just a theory, but guessing something happened to slightly bend that edge inward (before being installed in gun). Maybe it was dropped before being installed. Shot impacted the raised edge and tore it out toward barrel end.

Not sure if being excessively loose might allow shot to impact that edge and do it.

Might also look in gun barrel for damage or something in there that would have bent the edge in when tightened down.

Wow, that was a close one. The threads in the gun ok? I have never seen that. I have had them come loose a half turn and had no problem. I've also seen what a little snow in a barrel will do. not pretty. Stuff like that could cause a guy to develop a flinch.

I'm still thinking about this one, as it's a bit unnerving. How'd you notice it? I'm a little surprised you were able to get it out. If that's an Accu-Choke/Invector tube, & assuming it was manufactured correctly, & assuming you installed it to "normal" tightness (without using a cheater bar), I have to guess that lip somehow got just a tad out of round, while the threaded part wasn't affected. As suggested above, I suppose dropping one just right on a concrete floor might do it. I don't know how else that happens. I'm glad you posted this, though. I know I'll inspect the edges of every tube I screw in from here until eternity. Thanks!

FWIW, choke tubes are weird little things. I've got a couple guns where they tend to tighten after a few rounds. One gun where they loosen after a few rounds. I know I've shot lots of rounds with somewhat loose tubes, usually just a tiny fraction of a turn. But there have been a few times they've been 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose. No damage yet. I try to check tightness regularly.

Same as A5 here. My Browning Maxus choke seems to come a little loose after a few rounds. Not dramatically, just enough that I can snug it a bit more after a few rounds. It helps having an extended tube, I can easily check it in the field and snug it up if needed

It’s been several years since the gun had been fired. It belongs to my son. I was going over the gun in case he could make it on an upcoming grouse hunt with me. I was pulling the choke tube to see what choke was in it. The choke came out with a little more resistance then normal but not terrible. It sort of felt like there was carbon built up in the threads or something. A different choke will thread all the way in the barrel and seat normally. The gun has not been fired since I discovered this. We only use the small hand tools that come with our shotguns to change the tubes out so there’s no way to really over tighten one I wouldn’t think.
IIRC this gun had a tendency to work loose as you shot it.
This choke was bought aftermarket because the shotgun only came with one. When I bought the other chokes I researched as best I could to make sure they were compatible. They are the same height as the factory one and obviously the same thread pitch.

It’s been several years since the gun had been fired. It belongs to my son. I was going over the gun in case he could make it on an upcoming grouse hunt with me. I was pulling the choke tube to see what choke was in it. The choke came out with a little more resistance then normal but not terrible. It sort of felt like there was carbon built up in the threads or something. A different choke will thread all the way in the barrel and seat normally. The gun has not been fired since I discovered this. We only use the small hand tools that come with our shotguns to change the tubes out so there’s no way to really over tighten one I wouldn’t think.
IIRC this gun had a tendency to work loose as you shot it.
This choke was bought aftermarket because the shotgun only came with one. When I bought the other chokes I researched as best I could to make sure they were compatible. They are the same height as the factory one and obviously the same thread pitch.
Just to be safe, I'd have a gunsmith look it over before its shoot again. Ya just never know.

Back