enough is enough

3pheasant

Hello fellow hunters! I recently visited the Gettysburg and Pierre area for some fishing. I spent a couple days exercising my 2 English pointers and visiting some of my old go to hunting spots. I was amazed and disappointed on how the ditches are practically gone. The fence rows and cover around them are gone. The fields are practically barren and everywhere you look there are silos and more silos. As an avid hunter for the last ten years I left at least this area with a heavy heart because with the lack of cover and nesting areas there will be no birds. Good news I saw a lot of water fowl. If the state government doesn't find a way to control the destruction of habitat by the current farming policies there will be nothing other than pens raised birds left. How much does a 3 ft strip on either side of the fence really cost my friendly farmer?

Sometimes the ditches are mowed or farmed merely to prevent hunting. Where I hunt, most of them get mowed before the season, at least partly to prevent hunting, it seems...but there are always some ditches in mowed....

Sometimes the ditches are mowed or farmed merely to prevent hunting. Where I hunt, most of them get mowed before the season, at least partly to prevent hunting, it seems...but there are always some ditches in mowed....
Unmowed, I meant...some fields do get farmed ditch to ditch, too...😫

Back