English Pointers on Pheasants - what's been your experience?

I couldn't imagine having a loose dog in a vehicle. Last loose dog in my truck was a lab the rest of us brought hunting dogs...

Anyways I was assured said pet would stay on the floor mat that was a lie! Lab prints all over never again.

That's rediculous, labs are awesome dogs. Look- the dogs do all the work, they deserve to ride in the front seat. Do you realize the amount of effort it takes to flush a bird???Enough said.

That's rediculous, labs are awesome dogs. Look- the dogs do all the work, they deserve to ride in the front seat. Do you realize the amount of effort it takes to flush a bird???Enough said.

Are you going to say the same thing if you get in a wreck? Your dog would be hooped if he was in the front seat.

English Pointers

Just my opinion but I currently Run three English pointers ,I chase both phez and Quail I have a set of litter-mates boy and girl there just turning 4yrs old I also have a year old pup that needs more exposure to all birds I agree with some of the above comments but I also disagree with some.
my older pair I have shot a great number of both birds over/for.They adapt to the cover as we go ,tighter cover they Are not afraid to get into the thick stuff and hunt ,they have learned were the birds are going to be and adjust to the cover ,they relocate on running birds as well as any other breed I have hunted behind ,the pup is learning as we go she hunts hard but the light has not fully come on yet ,they have as much drive as any other breed or more than some I've seen. my older male (the only male I currently have ) is a great retriever he hunts dead hard and will not give up on a downed bird,the other two will retrieve 50/50 of the time usually they go to the bird and stand by it unless its a runner and then they will pick it up and bring it to me. there not perfect but there what I love watching ,all bird dogs are good some more so than others ,but It takes birds and bird exposure to see there potential .The English are not for all but for me its all about the cracking long tail and there desire to please.they endure the cold conditions but if its bitter cold they have vests that help with keeping them warm . mine are all Elhew both top and bottom.

:(

Labs are good dog's but a 100 pound lab bit my arm to hell crushed nerves etc. So you can't generalize .

& like mentioned b4 let a dog explode like liquid S*** all over your bronco & still feel a ride in a crate is un called for... My dog rides with me also 95% of the time sometimes she smell like a swamp or rolled in something foul lol I put her ass in crate then...

To just say thumbs down to them crates is pretty ignorant... I've met dogs who run to there crate to eat & sleep never needed a door on it...

Last edited:
I have a 2 year old EP and a 8 year old GSP that I hunt mostly pheasant and ruffed grouse with. The EP does just as well if not even a little better with running pheasants. The GSP is a stronger retriever but he is also a lot more experienced and I have no doubt that my EP will do just as well with a little more training.

As far as cold tolerance, I hunt in SD, MN and WI all the way through the end of the ruffed grouse season and neither dog has ever had an issue with the cold even when the temps are around zero.

I should also add that my dogs ride in their crates unless it is extremely hot or cold for safety reasons. If you get into an accident and your dog is loose in the cab they could get ejected from the vehicle.

I have a 2 year old EP and a 8 year old GSP that I hunt mostly pheasant and ruffed grouse with. The EP does just as well if not even a little better with running pheasants. The GSP is a stronger retriever but he is also a lot more experienced and I have no doubt that my EP will do just as well with a little more training.

As far as cold tolerance, I hunt in SD, MN and WI all the way through the end of the ruffed grouse season and neither dog has ever had an issue with the cold even when the temps are around zero.

I agree its all about experience a dog gets hunting not breed that makes a good pointer/hunter etc. A good smart EP should be able to get the hang of pheasants maybe not retrieving them but pointing them no problem...

I do have to say a wet cold damp winter day or any slough wet condition pheasant hunt late season I think the EP & GSP won't last like other breeds breed to handle the cold or wet conditions

EP are breed to run & point any thing Else is a bonus versatile is not in there breed description...

All 3 EP I new were dumb dumbs run aways no personality or mannors etc. Just girls & running big was all they cared about...

pheasant hunting dogs...

I fall Into the group of a pheasant hunting dog has got to be a strong retriever on wounded birds...

Old school EP guys used to say its my dogs job to point the bird its my Job to kill the bird once flushed

I'm sure there are good EP who are death on pheasants more built for quail & horseback hunts..

You know the saying they don't make them like they used to anymore?

And thank goodness for that, as well, even the newest bronco would be 21 years old JUNK!

No- Broncos are really good for bird hunting. They can really take a beating. They go through lots of fuel.

I grew up in north central Kansas and we had a couple english pointers when I was a kid. They did great on quail but really struggled with the pheasants. Plus, they were going hunting....if you came along too, that was fine but they weren't gonna wait on you! We then went to GSP's and now are Vizsla lovers!

Chris

Back