English Pointer Stud

I have a 1 year old male english pointer that i would like to stud out. He has very good blood lines and hunts well. I live in the North West part of Illinois and if your have any questions call or text me at 1815 631 1473. or email me at kj_36@yahoo.com .. thanks

I have a 1 year old male english pointer that i would like to stud out. He has very good blood lines and hunts well. I live in the North West part of Illinois and if your have any questions call or text me at 1815 631 1473. or email me at kj_36@yahoo.com .. thanks[/QUO
kinda young to be studding out. Tell us more about his training .
bobby g

dog

I have a 1 year old male english pointer that i would like to stud out. He has very good blood lines and hunts well. I live in the North West part of Illinois and if your have any questions call or text me at 1815 631 1473. or email me at kj_36@yahoo.com .. thanks[/QUO
kinda young to be studding out. Tell us more about his training .
bobby g

I dont think he is to young to stud. Who cares about his training, tell me about his ability.........A pic and pedigree would be nice.

I dont think he is to young to stud. Who cares about his training, tell me about his ability.........A pic and pedigree would be nice.

Training relates to ability.. If his training went well then he may have ability.Not many one year old dogs are stud quality. Not old enough to evaluate fully.
Does the dog have any trail placements? Does the dog have any Champions dogs in his bloodline?
I would get a few breedings in before I start advertising a dog for stud and see what he produces.
Bird Dog with a statements like that I can see you are very GREEN.
bobby g:rolleyes:

Training relates to ability.. If his training went well then he may have ability.Not many one year old dogs are stud quality. Not old enough to evaluate fully.
Does the dog have any trail placements? Does the dog have any Champions dogs in his bloodline?
I would get a few breedings in before I start advertising a dog for stud and see what he produces.
Bird Dog with a statements like that I can see you are very GREEN.
bobby g:rolleyes:

Natural ability has nothing to do with training!!!! Alot of dogs are bred before a year old.

On another note: do I think Pheasant hunter is going to have any luck studing this dog out to the public? No I do not. Not unless he is either bred out of this world, or he has alot of trial placements this season as a young dog.

Last edited:
Natural ability has nothing to do with training!!!! Alot of dogs are bred before a year old.

On another note: do I think Pheasant hunter is going to have any luck studing this dog out to the public? No I do not. Not unless he is either bred out of this world, or he has alot of trial placements this season as a young dog.

You could get a bred out of this world dog and leave it in the kennel and it will go to sht without proper training. Natural ability or not if not trained CORRECTLY the dog will never find its full potential, they aint born knowing to point birds. Anyone breeding a dog that young is more than likely running a puppy mill. Breed responsibly. Dont encourage this behavior.
bobby g

If you believe this then you need to buy some better dogs!!

Also there are alot of male dogs out there that are not hunted or trialed at all, they are simply bred to pass on a pedigree. Wright or wrong, it is going on.

I did not mean to encourage someone to breed irresponsibly.

put mine against yours in a brace ?? say a grand ? put up or shut up..:cheers:
its right not wright...

Last edited:
Ill agree lets say your dogs are better than mine, fine. That has nothing to do with your comment.

They are born knowing to point birds.
Born knowing to point birds?I have seen them point butterflies... were you born to speak english? Must be trained my friend. I am done with the pissing match:cheers:

you are both right there are some pups that come by pointing naturally and some that need a little extra help figuring it out no need to piss all over each other

you are both right there are some pups that come by pointing naturally and some that need a little extra help figuring it out no need to piss all over each other

I was pulling his chain a bit. I do have a GSP that won 5 time trails in a row before age 1. I raise beagles too. They aint born knowing to chase rabbits. they need to be trained. They are just better adapted to that chore.
Bird dogs in general are the same way. The better tool for the job.

I think you need exposure to bring out the point, some dogs need more exposure than others, but if your trying to tell me it isn't born into them to point, then a whole lot of people wasted a whole lot of time tinkering with genetics, and you should all start training german sheperds, dalmations, and malamutes as bird dogs.

I think you need exposure to bring out the point, some dogs need more exposure than others, but if your trying to tell me it isn't born into them to point, then a whole lot of people wasted a whole lot of time tinkering with genetics, and you should all start training german sheperds, dalmations, and malamutes as bird dogs.

Thats not what anyone said. Read the posts:mad::thumbsup: . They AINT BORN KNOWING TO POINT BIRDS!!!They will point anything, you need to train them to point birds. Genetics plays a part in that it makes it easier to train them to point birds. Some breeds are better at certain work than others.

I guess I should have said exposure to gamebirds, but I assumed you would read between the lines. As far as born pointing birds, I've had a whole lot of butterfly, dickey bird pointers, born, and more than a few who pointed nothing but the real thing, gamebirds. You don't "train" a dog to point any of the above anymore than you train/ teach it to lift it's leg, you give the dog the opportunity to do it, and re-enforce the inherited behavior. Training to retrieve, and back on sight are different, it actually takes training to do that, in some case there is no powerful natural instinct to do it, only learned behavior, via training. I was merely attempting to point out that the direction of the post was conflicted due to phraseology, your fighting over nothing, what you call training, is really exposure and re-enforcement, he calls it natural ability exposed to opportunity, Neither prospers without the exposure. I would assume that both of you can agree with this. All this over a new guy who likes his dog?

I guess I should have said exposure to gamebirds, but I assumed you would read between the lines. As far as born pointing birds, I've had a whole lot of butterfly, dickey bird pointers, born, and more than a few who pointed nothing but the real thing, gamebirds. You don't "train" a dog to point any of the above anymore than you train/ teach it to lift it's leg, you give the dog the opportunity to do it, and re-enforce the inherited behavior. Training to retrieve, and back on sight are different, it actually takes training to do that, in some case there is no powerful natural instinct to do it, only learned behavior, via training. I was merely attempting to point out that the direction of the post was conflicted due to phraseology, your fighting over nothing, what you call training, is really exposure and re-enforcement, he calls it natural ability exposed to opportunity, Neither prospers without the exposure. I would assume that both of you can agree with this. All this over a new guy who likes his dog?

works for me:cheers:

There are known records of the Pointer in England dating back to as early as 1650, when Pointers were used to find HARE. Most sources indicate that the Pointer was developed by crossing these baseline breeds: Greyhound, Foxhound, Bloodhounds and Bull Terriers. A few other sources include the Italian Pointer, the Setter, Newfoundland and the Bulldog.

Brought to the States in the late 1800's, this breed is primarily used for hunting upland birds, but can be adapted to hunt other game.

Back