End of shooting time

Bob Peters

I'm just wondering if you guys carry around the dnr book concerning sunset times? I've always wondered about the end of shooting times in MN. The map in the back isn't very clear when you get close to one of the plus or minus lines. It's kinda nice how Iowa does it, shooting ends at 4 30 every day. Sometimes I just google "sunset in Marshall MN" and go by that if I'm hunting near there.

Smartphone + Google = exact sunrise and sunset times. The days of a spreadsheet (calculating distance from the mean) should be long gone.

With the DST time change and December's short days ... the amount of hunting time during each day is significantly less than October. I suppose 4:30 could work now, but certainly not in October and November.

Always like to get at least one bird a season at the end of a dark, cloudy day where I can see the fire out the end of the barrel.

If you consider taking a warning shot to make sure it's a rooster in the muzzle flash, you might be at sunset.

Just google the name of the nearest town and sunset time. "Marshall, MN Sunset". And there is your answer. Or use the weather app on your phone, they also usually list sunrise/sunset.

If you consider looking up in the regs if shining pheasants with headlights is illegal like deer, you might be at sunset.

If you let google or some other app track you, just google sunset or sunrise and pretty much the exact time pops up.

I have shot roosters with the sun 3 quarters below the horizon.

Back