End of Season

jackrabbit

How many more hunts do you guys have left with the season winding down now? I'm taking off from work early today to hunt south of the metro, not expecting much but you never know! There's a possibility this will be my last hunt of the season, with the next couple weeks dominated by family Christmas's. Might be able to sneak out around New Years maybe if lucky.

I was supposed to go out yesterday but had to take care of a sick kid instead. I'm headed out Monday it will probably be my last time for the year. I'm kind of ready to do some ice fishing if we could get some cold weather to keep the ice around.

I will prob make it out 1-2 more times, in MN, unfortunately. However, I will be hunting in SD 12-25 through 12-28.

Will be out this weekend and then on NYE, my brother in law is being deployed to Africa over the last few days of the season so we will be visiting him in stead of pheasant hunting.

I would like to say I could, but do not know when the time will present itself... Holidays have a way of filling up the calendar?? I suppose I will shoot for the last weekend of the season. I hope that the bumper will suffice for the next couple weeks. :eek:

Today may have been my last day. My wife had the day off, so I was able to leave early and get farther west. I saw more birds today, then I have the last 3 years. Three, 20-30 bird flushes some singles and one group of 8 roosters. All on public land. Tons of fun.

Slow day for me today, my lab was able to flush one hen. Although in the area I hunted that's all my goal was! So not too disappointed. I've gotta find another day to make it out now though.

I would like to say I could, but do not know when the time will present itself... Holidays have a way of filling up the calendar?? I suppose I will shoot for the last weekend of the season. I hope that the bumper will suffice for the next couple weeks. :eek:
Flushed Up- how far west were you? Was out near Lincoln county last week and saw a decent amount of birds, but didn't get a chance to shoot at much. We were hunting public land, so could of been hunted earlier.

I'm going to head out to Ortonville tomorrow. If I see some birds I may stay the night and hunt Saturday. Saw 14 hens and two roosters in a one day hunt two weeks ago. Gonna go again next weekend too. Sure went by quickly!

Well I saw 50 plus birds but wasn't able to harvest a one. I had a lot of bad luck. Hunting by myself they were always getting up on the other side. Slipped on the ice and ended up on my butt as I pulled up on a rooster. Freezing rain as I drove through St Cloud. On and on. I can't find a bird to save my life in my usual spots, so I tried some spots I haven't hit in many years. I figured I stirred up all the spots, the weather was crappy and I was frustrated so I headed home. I seen enough birds to bring me back next Friday then of course it's year end. And yes I drive from Stillwater to Ortonville and back in a day. Costs me about $40 in my van with current gas prices. I'll take my truck if I'm splitting gas with another guy or if there's a lot of snow.

Well I saw 50 plus birds but wasn't able to harvest a one. I had a lot of bad luck. Hunting by myself they were always getting up on the other side. Slipped on the ice and ended up on my butt as I pulled up on a rooster. Freezing rain as I drove through St Cloud. On and on. I can't find a bird to save my life in my usual spots, so I tried some spots I haven't hit in many years. I figured I stirred up all the spots, the weather was crappy and I was frustrated so I headed home. I seen enough birds to bring me back next Friday then of course it's year end. And yes I drive from Stillwater to Ortonville and back in a day. Costs me about $40 in my van with current gas prices. I'll take my truck if I'm splitting gas with another guy or if there's a lot of snow.

At least you saw birds, you could have stayed home and saw none!:cheers:

I'm planning to head out to western MN for Jan 1-2, or Jan 2-3. Just me and my GSP at this point. I will try some areas I had some success in last December when it was wintery enough to bunch up the birds in heavy cover.

Went out yesterday west of Windom with my wife's cousin who was in town for the holidays. First public spot we were able to get 3 birds, should have been atleast 5 but he missed a gimme and I pulled up on a gimme and had a frozen safety so no shot for me. Only hunted one other piece and should of had our limit at that piece but needless to say the shooting yet again let us down as my wife's cousin missed 3 gimmes. But I can't complain it was a great day with some great dog work. Saw easily 75-100 birds between the 2 pieces and can't wait till next season!!

Tomorrow is a holiday for me at work and I hate to waste the day off by staying inside all day. Depending on the mood I am in when I wake up in the morning I may drive a couple hours west to hunt one last time. I am not looking forward to those -10 to -20 wind chills though... hopefully I'm motivated when I wake up! My dog deserves one last day in the field!

Snuck out yesterday for an hour of quick hunting in carver co. Was able to get me dog on four solid points and flushed up five hens. Although nothing could be shot at, it was a great end to a great season.

Well, gonna give it one more shot tomorrow on some private land west of Hutch... see how it goes but should be fun :thumbsup:

The last hunt of the year produced one hen flush... but that one flush made me realize how far my dog has came this year. He flushed the bird, and instead of continuing to run after it, he slowed and quit after 50 yards. Didn't have to correct him. I think that alone made the trip (through howling winds) all worth it.

Back