Emergency haying.

In NE SD. I would say 95% of the CRP is hayed (in the three counties I was in today). I saw just two walk-in areas that were uncut CRP. Assume they have been too wet to cut ... or the owners decided not to bother.

Drove the last 90 minutes of the day ... saw just four pheasants.

In NE SD. I would say 95% of the CRP is hayed (in the three counties I was in today). I saw just two walk-in areas that were uncut CRP. Assume they have been too wet to cut ... or the owners decided not to bother.

Drove the last 90 minutes of the day ... saw just four pheasants.
Sounds horrible.

anyone clearing cattails is going to be on dry ground, hard to bail them when laying in mud/water.
Maybe he means next year. You know, after they were baled.

Locally years ago the DNR paid my grandad to go out on the ice and cut the cattails. We have old aerial photos showing the pattern he cut. Don’t know why they did it, only did it once, on a small lake. Another year the DNR had farmers take loaders on on the ice to move snow that would help reduce winter kill on the fish. Dad got in on that, I’ve seen photos someone took.

anyone clearing cattails is going to be on dry ground, hard to bail them when laying in mud/water.

Well duhhhh.... future years ... aka next spring. That said, plenty of seasonal wetlands are dry enough to cut unless ample rains fall now.

Let me clarify ... 95% of SD Walk in areas with CRP have been hayed. CRP on private land fairing better.

ND much the same. Western MN too.

Saw a few places with corn strips left up ... must be for the pay, release and shoot crowd.

Well duhhhh.... future years ... aka next spring. That said, plenty of seasonal wetlands are dry enough to cut unless ample rains fall now.
sorry, my point was most places that they were able to cut this fall, will probably fill back in with water next spring, with a normal or wet fall/winter/spring. those clearings are usually only temporary over time.

Let me clarify ... 95% of SD Walk in areas with CRP have been hayed. CRP on private land fairing better.

Saw a few places with corn strips left up ... must be for the pay, release and shoot crowd.
sorry, my point was most places that they were able to cut this fall, will probably fill back in with water next spring, with a normal or wet fall/winter/spring. those clearings are usually only temporary over time.
True. I don’t think they can manipulate the dry slough located in CREP & CRP which is a plus

Back