Elkhart/

Bird Buster,

There are limits to be had every day. It is not as easy as it use to be but there are plenty of birds considering. Early in the year it was the best I have seen the area look in 15 years, then the lack of rain for months dispersed the birds from nesting areas to center pivots (1000s of Center pivots out here).

So you must have tons of pheasant based on your logic?
No not all. We don't have habitat. CRP is gone and farmers farm and spray everything. If we had the CRP we had prior to 2010, we would have a ton of pheasants. That is when CRP started to expire in big chunks. We have lost a majority of those acres and the ones that are left are cut and grazed. 2002 was about as dry as it can get across the midwest, yet pheasant numbers started to explode in Kansas. That was the peak period of CRP. 2003-2011 was about as good as it could get in Kansas. High grain prices have been the enemy of pheasant populations. Farmers putting ground into farm production vs CRP. You put those CRP acres back and watch the pheasant population bounce back as long as we have warm dry conditions during the nesting, hatch, and brood rearing period. It just happens that drought has been combined with the disappearance of habitat. Give anything quality habitat and it will survive most any weather conditions.

Last edited:
Bird Buster,

There are limits to be had every day. It is not as easy as it use to be but there are plenty of birds considering. Early in the year it was the best I have seen the area look in 15 years, then the lack of rain for months dispersed the birds from nesting areas to center pivots (1000s of Center pivots out here).
I have no clue exactly where you are referring to but where I hunt totally opposite. Lane and Ness counties pretty much wiped out from drought, emergency haying CRP, and little moisture there.

I have no clue exactly where you are referring to but where I hunt totally opposite. Lane and Ness counties pretty much wiped out from drought, emergency haying CRP, and little moisture there.
I am referring to Sw Kansas but I have family in Ness we hunt their ground and still get into Birds. Year around water is the key.

Headed out to SW Kansas on Wed to do some rooster shooting The recent moisture and temperature drop should improve our success

Back