Eliminating unwanted grass from timber

Tallgrass

I have an area that runs along a creek/ravine lined with trees (mosltly osage orange, some oak, and hickory), also in this area is a nice growth of blackberry, and other "shrubby" type vegetation, plum thickets etc. Problem is it is also choked with thick cool season grasses. I can get to most areas with an ATV and sprayer but worry about spraying and killing shrubs trees etc. Most of this area borders crop fields and would be good quail habitat if they had better nesting cover but the current dominant grasses seem to be unproductive nesting cover. Is there a good method for erradicating the cool season grasses, obviously disking is not an option? What type of herbicide might be best to spray this area?

Disclaimer - I think that people spray way too many herbicides and spraying should be done as minimally as possible!

That said, I've used Arrow, which is a generic version of Select, and it has worked well. It'll kill grasses when used according to the label and won't hurt shrubbery/forbs/etc. It does take a while to work though, so you can't be impatient! After 1-2 weeks if you are wondering if it's working pull a grass leaf from the sheath and you should see the core shriveling up.

What about Post? It doesn't hurt broadleaf plants. Check it out. Not sure about trees. I have a 2.5 gallon jug, I'll check the label.

Tallgrass,

I don't know your location. Is a prescribed burn a possibility?

I thinkit's possible, it would have to be done by someone with a lot more experience than me with these types of things. There are some outbuildings in the area that would be a concern. I certainly would not want to burn without the help of someone who really knows what they are doing.

You should be able to spray with RU if you do it when the other desirable plants are dormant. Late fall or early winter is usually the best time to do this.

Back