Early Spring Observations

gjw

Hello all, well, winter for sure is over (I think!). We've been getting plenty of rain, which means good cover. It's been on the cooler side, but warming up. So, if the weather holds (no major storms, heat waves or cold snaps), there should be a good nesting.

The winter carry over was verygood and I've been seeing a lot birds on the road lately and they are pairing up. I've even seen a few roosters with 2 or 3 hens. That's really good!

If as I said the weather holds thru the brood season, I think we'll have a banner season.

I'll try and give some more updates as the year continues.

Best Regards to all of you!

Greg

My dogs have to be walked and are allowed to run through grasses along the roads we walk. They are kicking up great numbers of birds but I have yet to see any chicks. I had one nest literally 100 yards from our patio that had 16 eggs. We did our best to keep the dogs away. We did notice one day all the eggs were open/hatched? The eggs did not present like a predator got them but rather hatched but I am no expert. I would say we are setting up for another good, healthy hatch and a great fall.

Today could be a pivotal day for our hatch. Most of the state in the 50's for highs (barely) and wet. Frost advisory for the western third of the state, pretty rare for June 18.

I live SW of Dickinson. We've gotten some severe storms with hail and heavy rain fall the last couple weeks. a few days ago found a dead hen in the yard after one that produced golf ball sized hail, I believe she was trying to get to my trees for cover and didn't make it. My labs got some dead bird training that day. Started seeing hens with chicks a week or so back, but overall, no telling yet how bad the weather knocked down the local hatch. adult roosters seem to have come through OK, the drive into town ever morning is a pheasant slalom course.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm more curious about the grasshopper hatch
Haven't seen a hopper SW of Dix. And I do mean not a one...

Pheasant hatch down here is good, seeing lots of hens with chicks driving to/from town. Plenty of roosters too. Never a lot of sharps in the area around my place but the hun numbers look good. I think it will be a very good season. I'm looking forward to giving my new Orion 20 gauge an early season workout...

Back