Early Greater Prairie Chicken Hunt

Jason,

So far my quest for a greater prairie chicken has only found one spot to produce any.

BTW, you got to see a good game Sunday, except the ending.

Yes, the game was good up until the last few seconds. It was made better because my future hunting partner, my 4 year old son, was with me. He loved it because he could be rowdy and instead of getting in trouble for it, everyone laughed and encouraged it.

Jason

Today was the last day of the early chicken season(eastern Kansas) and I wanted to go so badly. There has been a week of drizzle and socked in weather, but today was bluebird all the way. I had committed to a job in Ness County(sixty miles north of Dodge). All the way to the job, I keep thinking, "I really should be hunting chicken today." Then it happens a flock of thirty lesser prairie chicken fly right in front of us going from a feed field to grass. Chicken season was not open in Ness County, but it sure was good to see those birds. I have a goal to shoot a nice LPC this year for a mount.

Saw a nice flock of sand hill cranes in the air. I want to take one of them this year. It would be my first. I have never eaten one, but those that have refer to them as "ribeye in the sky".

The CRP grass has made the prairie a more healthy place to be, especially for the lesser prairie chicken, a fact that I have passed on to USDA.

Five weeks until I can hunt some LPC ---- can hardly wait.

Maynard & Murry

Back