Early Greater Prairie Chicken Hunt

M. R. Byrd

I have got to get Murry out in the field and rather than make a trip north for early seasons, I want to hunt Kansas' early season(Sept 15- Oct 15).

Dates I can be in GPC area-
September 23rd
I need to be in Manhattan for the CRP public meeting that evening.

October 8th
I have an evening PF Meeting at Cabela's in Kansas City. Could hunt a day or two before or a day or two after.

I am doing my research now to see where I can get into some chickens. If anyone cares to join me, just PM me.

Maynard & Murry

I'd love to, but I've got to be in Austin, MN that week. Please give me an update on what is covered in the CRP meeting.

Thanks

Please give me an update on what is covered in the CRP meeting.

Thanks

It is our chance(the public) to speak to the subject. I go as a rancher/farmer and a conservationist, especially of my beloved lesser prairie chicken.

I'd love to shoot a Greater, but I know I won't be able to make it. I shot a lesser chicken about 4 years ago.
It would be nice if they had the CRP meeting in W. KS where most of the CRP is located. I would be a bad deal if we lost most of our grass. After this past winter and spring we would still be digging out the sand piles. It is amazing how the CRP grass caught the blowing sand.
Good luck

Please note that Public Participation is available in several ways for those that cannot attend in person. See the bottom of this link-

http://pheasantsforever.org/page/1/PressReleaseViewer.jsp?pressReleaseId=13407

The more positive comments about the CRP the better. I personally have seen many positive results of the CRP program, above what it has done for the wildlife. I have a dry creek that runs across my property with a large watershed. Gone are the days when a substantial rain anywhere within the watershed would bring raging dirty water flashing down the creek. There are only a few days with blowing dirt in the air. I enjoy cleaner air and cleaner water because of the CRP program.

Will we save the CRP by stepping up? Who knows, but it sure can't hurt.

Comments due by October 19th.

I live in Manhattan. Let me know what you had in mind regarding your trip on the 23rd.

I GPC hunted all the walk-in and public land around the Manhattan area last year. I had several GPC encounters during the early season last year. I found a few decent spots. In fact, I'll probably take the dog over to one of them today for a run. Even if they are not in season, your dog would probably get a chance to find some quail also which should be kind of a treat for a Dodge City rooster dog.

I would be happy to help you get lined out, and even invite myself to tag along if you don't mind a 3rd wheel. Send me a PM if that works for you.
Chris

Enjoyed hunting with you MR Byrd, and I think you have the makings of an excellent prairie chicken dog in ol' Murry!:thumbsup: I wish my dog was as well conditioned as your speedster!

So, did you get into any more chickens after I left?

Toad,

Hunted several other spots, but no birds. Ran into a badger and fortunately Murry was a good distance up wind of him. Murry has one skinned up pad and the one cut, but overall he is in good shape, but I think he will sleep really good tonight(me too). It was good to get him out and I appreciate you efforts to make that happen.

Thanks,

Maynard & Murry

Sorry to hear you didn't get into any more birds. I guess my knowledge about their habits is pretty limited after about 11:00 AM, since that's about the latest I can ever hunt. I'm glad we found the dozen or so that we did, and got your dog some early season experience.

Geez, a badger...:eek: My only encounter with one happened last season. Unfortunately for me, it was pointed by the dog down in a creek bed. I went stomping and kicking through the brush thinking she had pointed a bird. Out pops a badger from its den just a few feet from me and the dog! The end of my shotgun barrel was mere inches from the badger's nose as I grabbed the dog's collar and backed slowly away. Thankfully it stayed at the entrance to its den so we were able to leave the area without incident.

A flushing quail will make your heart skip, but that badger incident about necessitated a wardrobe change...;)

Unfortunately, I didn't capture the image of the greater prairie chicken flushing, but her is Murry on his first encounter with the GPC.

DSCF1377B.jpg

This is what a tallgrass prairie bird hunt looks like, at least for the early GPC season.

DSCF1384B.jpg

Many thanks for getting Murry onto some GPC. I am ready for some more, as is Murry.

Nice pictures and good looking dog. I don't know if I am going to make it during the early season this year, but definitely want to give it a try next year if not. It looks like a great hunt - but I am not sure I would know how to hunt an area with so few trees.

What kind of range does your dog have? Did you use regular pheasant loads?

Jason

Jason,

That was the first time I had Murry out in that much open area. I would guess that he was ranging out at max 200 yards, maybe a little further at times. He seems to want to check in from time to time to see where I am.

I sure did enjoy the hunt and thank Toad for taking me.

My gsp just turned 1 a couple of days ago so I thought it would be a good first hunt for him, plus it is a bird I have always been fascinated with that I have never had a chance to hunt.

I just picked up a walk in hunting book and saw they had the properties listed by species occurring there. Anyone have a thought on how accurate their listings are? I think I might try a couple of spots out that have chickens listed, and hope to at least see some.

Jason

Jason,

I think the listings are fairly accurate. If anything, I usually find that there are more species available than what is listed. For instance, the book may only say "quail", but the section may also have a pond that attracts dove and puddle ducks.

The chicken hunting is getting a little tougher recently. I think my birds are getting wise. I went to my favorite WIHA Friday, where I never see any other hunters, and ran into a nice hunter and his dog. Neither of us saw any chickens on the place.

You might still get into some chickens if you have a good, ranging dog like MR Byrd. My dog only ranges 50-75 yards and I think that gave the birds plenty of time to skeedattle after they saw us coming. Good luck to you if you go.

Toad,

Sorry you didn't find any birds. I have got the fever now. I have a meeting at Cabela's Thursday evening, so I may try to hunt some walk-ins on my way to the meeting. I know Murry wants to hunt some more chicken.

Maynard & Murry

If you want to meet up again, give me a call or a PM.

I had been thinking about doing some training at the bird farm, but that plan is flexible.;)

Have any of you tried chicken hunting around Marysville? According to the walk in book there are some areas with chickens. That is about 2 hours from me, so it won't be too bad of a drive if there are birds.

Jason

Jason, I know that is a very productive region/area. I can't say specifically about the walk-in that is available there. I have never hunted those areas personally.

Thanks Toad, I am going to try to go out there Saturday morning - and then go see the Chiefs lose to the Cowboys Sunday. Would most likely be a more productive day chasing chickens, but I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

Jason

No luck with chickens Saturday, most of the spots did look pretty good for quail, and a few for pheasants, but not what I pictured for chicken habitat. It looks like some more miles are going to be in order finding more open places.

Jason

Back