E-Collars

All,

It has been a very long time since I owned a bird dog. No E-collars were available then.

Can someone educate me on collars? What are the various types and what are they normally used for?

What about GPS tracking devices, are there E-collars that have a GPS tracking device installed or are they seperate devices?

What are the collars that I see strapped around the mid-section of some of the dogs in pictures on this web site? Why do some of the dogs have a collar around the groin/loin area and also another collar around the neck?

Dan

Would like to review the responses to the "groin" question...I don't think I've seen a collar used in this area.

I'll try to put a dent in this big topic...

First of all, different programs use e-collars differently. So when you have a program, read up on the e-collar section.

Yes they make GPS/e-collar combos... Check out the Garmin Alpha and the SportDog Tek 2.0. But those are mostly for pointy breeds.

The collars around the flank are generally used for the "whoa" command. I think the Smith method used them...

The idea with the groin collar is an extension of the whoa post when working on steady. A light tickle on the belly with the ecollar to remind the dog to whoa, like the knot on the checkcord pressing into their belly when they are on the post.

I use a garmin alpha that has both the GPS and correction features and like it. However, it is annoying and clunky for day to day walks/yard work so I have a little sport dog unit for that.

jonny I've heard of it being used on a horses rump to take the buck out of them.

I think a dog wants to move away from the correction,,that is why you will see them pull their head up or to the side if you give them to intense of a correction. I suppose you could use a collar on the rump to develop a snappy sit, or to drive them off of the line?
Googling it you can find some references to pointing dog trainers using it on on the flank for whoa work.

Back