E collar suggestions

OpenSeason1

What do you guys like for an entry level e collar? I want to get something that I can use on my lab for upland hunting as well as waterfowl.

Thanks,

Dogtra hands down. Ive tried them all and Dogtra is the most durable bar none! Ive had a T&B for 7 hard years and still going strong.

I just bought the Tri-tronics Upland G3 set up. It works well, but I've never tried Dogtra. The G3 can be added on to for running multiple dogs. I think I chose not to go with Dogtra (heard lots of great things about em') b/c I couldn't add collars (or could only add 1) in the future.

I got a sportdog for my lab pup this year and I love it! I've only had to use it once and when it goes on now she knows whats goin on, labs are smart dogs lol. Also with this collar you can add up to 4 other dogs on if you want down the road, its also water proof which is a must. And it didnt break the bank either, just my 2 cents.

Dogtra for Me

Ecollars have been recently discussed here and many spoke highly of Dogtra. I found a one-dog Dogtra for $175 on the net. I've used it since Oct. 31 and really like it. I especially like the three buttons on the transmitter: vibrate, nick, and current. No need to fumble around with a switch to change modes, and the current strength is adjustable. The receiver is small and light -- easier on the dog on long days in the field. The transmitter is smaller than others too.

Last edited:
do you have experience with an e collar?

I have never owned one, but have hunted with friends that use them. I have read several training books, and understand that it is a reinforcement tool, not a training tool. I will take any and all advice that you have to offer!

Using eCollars

I have never owned one, but have hunted with friends that use them. I have read several training books, and understand that it is a reinforcement tool, not a training tool. I will take any and all advice that you have to offer!

The dog must be trained and understand your commands before the ecollar comes into play. Also, start with vibration, beep, or other non-shock signal provided by the collar, and only shock the dog slightly at first, a "nick" at a low voltage setting, if it fails to obey the command after being vibrated. Precede the shock with the identical command. Commands, ideally, should be one syllable: come (or here), whoa, fetch, no, go (or hunt), sit, down, etc. or a whistle. Whistle training is good because if the dog is down range, the wind is blowing, or it is pushing through vegetation as high or higher than its head, the dog will have trouble hearing your voice command. That gets to the matter of hand signals. Ideally, you want to be silent while hunting. If you can achieve a reasonable degree of control over the dog in the field with only whistles (to get the dog to look at you) and hand signals - the arm extended for lateral moves and held straight up for "come toward me" -- you and your dog will be an accomplished field team. Dogs do not always obey commands in the field immediately, especially while scenting an area. Give them a little time to obey before vibrating or shocking.

Dogs vary greatly as to their reaction to being shocked. Based on my reading in this forum, some dogs react adversly -- retreating to the vehicle, refusing to hunt, etc. Obviously, a shock collar is not appropriate for such sensitive dogs. My Brittanys have never had a problem with it and shocking has been 100% effective in breaking them from rabbit and deer chasing.

Best of luck with your dog and have a great season.

Last edited:
I have had a Tri-Tronics Flyaway G2 Exp for two years now, Have used it for upland and waterfowl hunting, no problems at all. Great collar.

I have a Dogra Train and Beep that I really like. I bought it from The Collar Clinic and was very pleased with their service! I think the one I bought was a refurbished one, and I've had no problems with it at all!

As others have said, be careful with the collar! I've seen dogs ruined with an e-collar if it wasn't used properly. I RARELY have to actually stimulate my Vizsla any more. I'll bet I've only used the button 10 times over 5 years. He's VERY sensitive to it. I call the collar his "hearing aid". He knows when he has it on and all of a sudden starts listening a whole lot better...even if the power to it isn't on.

Good luck! They can be extremely effective.

Chris

I have actually trained my dogs to stop with the locate beeper button on my Dogtra Train and Beep collar. I have the 2 dog collar(4yrs) and 1 dog collar (7yrs).So with 3 dogs I have a ton of versility. I also added extensions to the beeper horns, I used pill bottles and just taped them on to keep the sound awawy from the dogs ears. I will always own this type of collar.

Back