ducks

well guy's, only a couple more days to go. weather outlook is terrible where I am going, warm, blue-bird and hardly any wind, other than being opening day, not a great way to start the season, maybe i'll snipe hunt some.

cheers

You must be headed West of 25?

bored today, my queen's been trying for several days now to get through the Chicago airport mess, now that the fire is out, storms have stopped the planes. anyway, I have been hunting lake john area since the 70's, each year a few more people and a few less ducks. puddle ducks have now replaced the divers which years ago were there by the thousands on all the lakes, now just a few. used to have the whole place all to myself. one weekend in the 70's a friend and me went to lake john, I had my two black labs, no not a joke, at that time the limit was by points and if you shot the right kind you could shoot 10/day, if not, one duck could send you home. in a day and a half the two of us shot 40 ducks, no deeks, just pass shooting in high wind and white caps. at the end of the hunt I had two really really tired labs as all were water retrieves in very rough water, experience they got, fun they had so, see, folks at least I have been around the mutts at one time or the other

cheers

North Park Cast and Blast!!! Use to see some Ruddy's up there. But it is way too crowded anymore.. Good luck. Did see a few Dove flocked up in that area on Tuesday.:cheers:

North Park Cast and Blast!!! Use to see some Ruddy's up there. But it is way too crowded anymore.. Good luck. Did see a few Dove flocked up in that area on Tuesday.:cheers:

I don't shoot ruddy ducks, they are my buddies and one of my favorite birds to carve. the area actually has quite a few of them, I see dove up there buy don't know how to really hunt them plus I have shot enough of them for this year. wave when you go by sometime. I am also likely to hunt some snipe on the river bottom while there

cheers

I have found that for opening weekend in Colorado as far as state land goes, San Luis valley is not a bad place to go for ducks and you can shoot dark geese in another week I believe (check the regs).

After chasing after Bigfoot (I mean dusky grouse :p:mad:) The past two weekends, the wife is going to her moms in Silverton, CO so I am staying home for the weekend (well I will be sighting in my .30-06 and my son's .270) and also early preparations for gear and stuff for elk camp for second rifle season.

Greg

north park

plenty of hunters showed up but not the ducks. I hunted just a small part of the 2nd day, did quite well and shot all puddle ducks, don't think most of the guys can say the same. looked to me like lake john and it's annex was nearly devoid of anything but coots. walden res. had a million coots but some ducks. saw quite a few ruddys but won't shoot them, almost no mallards and very little shooting, blue bird weather and no wind, bronco's were more exciting

cheer

Thanks Frangler. Yea, went up again last weekend and there were only a couple of groups. The excitement of opening day had a lot of people out. Good luck to everyone out there this year!

few ducks again

hunted the walden area again last week end, while I shot a number of birds, there were few to be had, some hunters around, some shooting but not really much of either. if you want coots, I know the place. headed out again in a couple of days, the duck's migration report ain't been much help either

cheers

hunted the walden area again last week end, while I shot a number of birds, there were few to be had, some hunters around, some shooting but not really much of either. if you want coots, I know the place. headed out again in a couple of days, the duck's migration report ain't been much help either

cheers

LOL Musti, who the heck shoot Mud ducks? coots???? LOL

LOL Musti, who the heck shoot Mud ducks? coots???? LOL

just don't know, not many I would guess, however I do have a published pic of a sign during the time of the market hunters that were advertising them at five cents each. think they would be a great way to ruin a pot of stew and the wine to go with it, but, then some people have different taste, I guess

cheers

Musti,

LOL I know. I shot one as a kid and my dad told me dont ever do that again, our britt refused to retrieve it. Dad made me wade out and get it. LOl Only one I ever shot. Lesson Learned. LOL

still few ducks

hunted again last weekend in n. park, very few hunters, same amount of ducks, but the coots were there. I have actually done quite well on puddle ducks of one type or other but don't see very many, did get 3 snipe the other day but then that's all of those I saw also. young birds, no mallards, no divers, but there were coots

cheers

duck hunters

am I the only one duck hunting? went again to n. park, saw a few scaup for the first time this year, not a hunter in sight. hunted wed. and thur. very few ducks, the least I have seen in my life time of hunting in the area, have been shooting quite a few but more due to hard work and luck then anything. don't understand it, the snipe are not around either. weather for most part was blue sky

cheers

No, you're not the only one. I'm directly south of you about 3hours and absolutely love the ducks, also hunt only mountain valleys. Taking this weekend off because I have my possession limit in the freezer and need to put in a deposit in the ol matrimony savings account tomorrow with a hike with my wife. Planning on eating duck fiijitas .tomorrow night so will probably head out again Sunday morning. I have a new pup this year,(lost my ol buddy last march, too deaf to get out of the way of a momma cow... Long story) and he's doing great. Counting nephews birds from youth hunt, he has just under 40 retrieves this year (obviously not all my birds) and hasn't lost one and a handful were dang difficult ones. Funny story about coots, opening day my buddy and I were heading back to truck with our limits and two guys walked the other way with three dogs. Figured that they were jump shooting but thought that they didn't know that the birds they were sneaking up upon, and that we just walked past, were coots. Thinking nothing of it, we were startled by 5 shots in rapid succession. Asked them how they did later in the parking area and they said they got 10 coots (I swear they shot them off the water). Sounded very happy and when I asked why, they said that their great in jambalaya (sp?). Whose to say different I suppose, just thought the way they got them was a bit of bad form. Don't know if I'd be to excited to try em out. If I can figure out how to get pics off my phone onto this site, I'll post a few.

Find it hard to sit in the blind @ 80 degrees . I am going to try and get out this week, if nothing else just to see the Woodies blow past me!!!

No, you're not the only one. I'm directly south of you about 3hours and absolutely love the ducks, also hunt only mountain valleys. Taking this weekend off because I have my possession limit in the freezer and need to put in a deposit in the ol matrimony savings account tomorrow with a hike with my wife. Planning on eating duck fiijitas .tomorrow night so will probably head out again Sunday morning. I have a new pup this year,(lost my ol buddy last march, too deaf to get out of the way of a momma cow... Long story) and he's doing great. Counting nephews birds from youth hunt, he has just under 40 retrieves this year (obviously not all my birds) and hasn't lost one and a handful were dang difficult ones. Funny story about coots, opening day my buddy and I were heading back to truck with our limits and two guys walked the other way with three dogs. Figured that they were jump shooting but thought that they didn't know that the birds they were sneaking up upon, and that we just walked past, were coots. Thinking nothing of it, we were startled by 5 shots in rapid succession. Asked them how they did later in the parking area and they said they got 10 coots (I swear they shot them off the water). Sounded very happy and when I asked why, they said that their great in jambalaya (sp?). Whose to say different I suppose, just thought the way they got them was a bit of bad form. Don't know if I'd be to excited to try em out. If I can figure out how to get pics off my phone onto this site, I'll post a few.

Put enough spice in and anything tastes good, almost!!!:D

Find it hard to sit in the blind @ 80 degrees . I am going to try and get out this week, if nothing else just to see the Woodies blow past me!!!
Try Hunting up high, still a lot of birds in the mountain valleys (at least down here in the southern rocks) and I haven't seen 80degrees anywhere since august. as for woodies, I see about one of those every 3 years or so and this year my buddy took one, beautiful birds. You're blessed if you get a chance at them with regularity :)

Back