duck hunting ???

quail hound

Today while I was out quail hunting I noticed about 20 mallards and 10 or so woodies on a small pond out there where no one else hunts. I have my state and federal duck stamps (because I support wetland conservation) and have never used them and I think I might want to try.

So here's my question. I believe the ducks are roosting (do ducks roost?) on the pond so without any duck hunting equipment what's my best bet to shoot one or two. Sneak in before day light and wait for them to fly out to feed or sneak in just before dusk and wait for them to come back? There's a lot of good woody cover to conceal myself in right on the edge of the water. Also, will #5 bismuth do the job on what I expect to be a close shot or should I use #3 steel? Those are my two choices as I won't be buying any special ammo for what will probably amount to 2 or 3 shots max. I'm not greedy, I just want a bird or two for dinner.

I like to shoot them leaving the roost! That way they forget about it easier. If you shoot at them coming to roost they go somewhere else. I like they taste of Wood duck better than Mallard. #5 Bismuth should do fine!!! Pic's when you score!!:thumbsup:

I like to shoot them leaving the roost! That way they forget about it easier. If you shoot at them coming to roost they go somewhere else. I like they taste of Wood duck better than Mallard. #5 Bismuth should do fine!!! Pic's when you score!!:thumbsup:

And that folks is why I love this site so much. Something so simple about them leaving/ coming to roost that makes so much sense but I would've never thought of it on my own. Thanks for the tip Chad, should I get one down I will definitely post a pic.:cheers:

Agreed. Except on the Mallard part, not much better than a mallard. We have some locals that we'll kick off and they'll come back with in an hour and we'll shoot and they'll come back again.

One thing about Wood ducks is they will travel the same path to and from the roost. If you get 3-400 yds away you should not affect the roost too much. They come straight in and generally never circle the roost. Only twice in my life have I really had them decoy and both times it was a blizzard out. I get the occassional single to dump in, but for the most part they know where they want to be and head right to it. I will stand in their path or flyway and shoot those rockets as they zip by. It is usually real early in the morning and they do not avoid me until they have been shot at 3 or 4 times. Then they just slide a little one way or the other just out of range. Then I change my location! I use to go out and watch them dump into their roost 3 times a week in a small pond surrounded by Russian olives. Sometimes over a hundred birds. They all just picked the best overhanging tree's and slid right under them. They were about 20-30 yds high and screaming in!

Back