Drahthaar experiences

I had a wirehair he was the best dog I've owned yet, he lived to be 14. Currently I have 2 Drahts my female that is 8 and a male is 2,
both are also great dogs. I have tested and trained with NAVHDA as well as hunted lots of wild birds. Both my draths are sweet as can be especially my 2 year old male. My wirehair was less tolerant of strangers but still a good citizen. They don't like cats that's for sure, I doubt many bird dog do. My buddys pointer as racked up a substantial number of cat kills in his 5 years. Prey drive is prey drive which translates in hunting birds. Bottom line is you need to have control over your dog. I also didn't socialize them to be around cats at a young age. I like the german breeding program I feel it helps you hedge your bets on getting a good dog and a healthy dog which why I went with Draths over a wirehair. Bird dude is correct they do better living inside and being with their family they also don't respond to a heavy hand There are many great wirehairs and breeders out there as well as drahts and drahthaar breeders
No dog responds to a heavy hand. Anybody who hits a dog, is a fool, and an idiot.

I have 2 Drahts, two different breeders. First one is an older female (11). She is smaller (55 lbs), slick coated and an excellent hunter.
Was always on the hunt until the last couple of years, she has slowed down. Is in good shape, still hunts effectively and has not one sharp or protective bone in her body. Good swimmer, retrieves well and is great on cripples. Second one is 80 lb male. Class clown, but will bark at strangers.
I refer to him as "a fullback with speed". Goes up the middle all day long, cattails, ravines, draws, cold weather, warm weather he runs effortlessly all day. Points, retrieves, and is not dog aggressive. he will defend himself but would rather be playing. A handful in the house, hoping he slows down a little soon. Agree with earlier poster, they do better with humans than without.

Back