Doves/Pheasants

SDJIM

Cold front went thru and most of the local doves hit the road south but we fimally found the ones that stayed behind. Had a rainy cold start today but finished ith warm sunny skies and lots of doves. Oh boy do I love my new 28 ga O/U .

One other thing the pheasants look to be spotty--some areas are OK and others no so good--it seems to depend on if the nesting areas were low or high ground--the 7 to 10 inch rain in some areas really hurt the nesting success.

Cold front went thru and most of the local doves hit the road south but we fimally found the ones that stayed behind. Had a rainy cold start today but finished ith warm sunny skies and lots of doves. Oh boy do I love my new 28 ga O/U .

One other thing the pheasants look to be spotty--some areas are OK and others no so good--it seems to depend on if the nesting areas were low or high ground--the 7 to 10 inch rain in some areas really hurt the nesting success.

Congrats on the doves! Sounds like I better get the gun cleaned up and the dog loaded. Keep sending them this way:thumbsup:

Great to hear you got into the doves. We've been in the 90's since the the opener and have seen big numbers. We're getting into a cold front here in Indiana so I think we too will see the migration south. As for the pheasant numbers, I can only hold by breath and wait........We'll be there on the 25th thru the 31st........I'm sure the numbers are spotty at best in a lot of areas but I'm also more sure that there are some VERY TIGHT LIPPED locals that know where the numbers are holding steady. We hunt state ground and it's going to depend on the harvest as to how our hunt is going to be. If they can get at least 50% out we'll be good........if not I need to start getting on the treadmill and preparing for a marathon.

Back