Dove strategy question.

moellermd

Super Moderator
I have 40 acres of corn that will be chopped for silage and a 1/4 mile away from it in the same section I have a 3 acre pond. Do I hunt the chopped corn field or the pond.

If I were you I would hunt the field in the morning and provided the pond has some decent trees around it the pond in the evening when they are returning to roost. Seem to have pretty good luck doing this.

If I were you I would hunt the field in the morning and provided the pond has some decent trees around it the pond in the evening when they are returning to roost. Seem to have pretty good luck doing this.

This is exactly what my experience has taught me to do.

Not a lot of trees around the pond. Would I be better off hunting a row of spruce trees next to the silage field?

huntin4fun, and kb thats the way we do it. its been my expirence that the doves fly for food in the morning, then back to water sources in the midmorning. they repeat this cycle all day, until time to roost.:)

Not a lot of trees around the pond. Would I be better off hunting a row of spruce trees next to the silage field?

You only need one tree that they like at your pond and you should do well. We hunt stock tanks that are spilling over in W KS, even where there isn't a tree in sight. I do well in the feed for the first 4 hours of the day. I like to sit in front of a good stand of trees in the evening. Things tend to get hectic when you find a good roost.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

You only need one tree that they like at your pond and you should do well. We hunt stock tanks that are spilling over in W KS, even where there isn't a tree in sight. I do well in the feed for the first 4 hours of the day. I like to sit in front of a good stand of trees in the evening. Things tend to get hectic when you find a good roost.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

KB, is right ,you only need one tree. you might try putting a couple decoys in that tree, and maybe one of the decoys, should be a spinner. this seems to work for me. :)

Back