Double Scotch Double on Quail

BritChaser

A hunting buddy had two Scotch doubles on quail on New Year's Day. Previously I had seen only one other Scotch double in 15 years of hunting. Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle w/26" barrel and IC choke; shell: 1 1/4 oz. no. 7 1/2 lead. We toasted his accomplishment with some Old Weller 107 bourbon, a tasty apres-hunt tonic.

Last edited:
What's a Scotch Double

Brit,

I know what a double Scotch on the rocks is, but what is a Scotch double on quail?

Never heard the term before.

Of course, that would make sense. That whole thing with the thrifty nature of the Scotish people. Sorry, a little dense today.

You are . . . Right!

I'm assuming that's 1 shot, 2 kills........twice!!!

That is 100% correct! I was there. I saw it done . . . to my amazement and the shooter's as well.

So, good bourbon, and 4 tasty quail in the bag. I took two a couple weeks ago. My wife was making a chicken dish on Sunday when I got back, so I just added the quail in. I gnawed the carcasses down to the bones, and then gave the bones to my dog. I love quail!!! Although it's a hard choice for me between quail and blue grouse which is tastier.

I have a new recipe for pheasant I am going to try with the 4 I took this past weekend. I got it out of Gray's Sporting Journal and tried it on chicken first. Very tasty. If it works on pheasant I will post it here. Basic recipe calls for browing the birds in olive oil, then adding red wine, a little garlic, wild mushrooms, onions, and serving over wild rice. Makes my teeth ache thinking about it!!

Bon apetite!

I needed a reason to have a drink...he he..congrats....only happened to me a couple of times...once was an accident...if I had two in one day...I would have probably been by myself...then I couldnt tell anyone. Congrats .

Blue (Dusky) Grouse Mighty Tasty

So, good bourbon, and 4 tasty quail in the bag. I took two a couple weeks ago. My wife was making a chicken dish on Sunday when I got back, so I just added the quail in. I gnawed the carcasses down to the bones, and then gave the bones to my dog. I love quail!!! Although it's a hard choice for me between quail and blue grouse which is tastier.

I have a new recipe for pheasant I am going to try with the 4 I took this past weekend. I got it out of Gray's Sporting Journal and tried it on chicken first. Very tasty. If it works on pheasant I will post it here. Basic recipe calls for browing the birds in olive oil, then adding red wine, a little garlic, wild mushrooms, onions, and serving over wild rice. Makes my teeth ache thinking about it!!

Bon apetite!

Blue grouse are delicious. I shot a few of those when I lived in CO.

Last edited:
Back