Don't Forget To Thank The Farmer

sas

As we wind down the season I hope we will all remember to show our appreciation to our farmer/landowner hosts. A "thank you", card, phone call, short visit doesn't cost a thing. If you are able send them a gift. Or go by and help out if you live in the neighborhood.

I have been chasing birds for almost 65 years. When I started I could go to the city limits and hunt as far as I wanted on just about anybody. That is gone forever. I didn't believe the forecast when it said that we would become a cashless society, and free hunting would gradually disappear. But, I was wrong. Both are coming true.

Kansas is a breath of fresh air to hunting. If you behave and ask permission you can still find space to hunt. But, if we, as a group, don't show our appreciation we will pay the consequences. I wouldn't blame a farmer for charging us a trespass fee. Have you noticed you are starting to pay for air at the gas station? The grocer doesn't offer you free bubble gum. It is all becoming part of the "bottom line."

As the generation of older farmers fades out what will the heirs do with their property? They are of a different era and it is not the same. With that in mind I think those who have any voting power and influence should think seriously about WIHA. It is a two sided coin. True, the more you have the more it may invite "foreigners" to come up and hunt. Conversely, if the private land starts to disappear where are those who are privileged now going to hunt? DO NOT take it for granted that you will always have a place to hunt unless you own the property. And where I hunt most of the property owners don't seem to hunt themselves.

Being able to hunt is a right, having a place to do it is a privilege. People drive thousands of miles to hunt. It is expensive and time consuming. But, as I kid my wife, still cheaper than a nervous breakdown. To which she replies, yes, but not as a divorce. If you have it in your blood, there is only one way to get it out. Pen raised, preserves, field trials, all fun but still not quite the same as matching wits against a rooster with a dog you trained from a pup. Going out against the elements and coming in dead tired seems crazy to some but if you got it in your blood it doesn;t matter.

Good hunting and remember your actions represent all of us.

As a landowner and a farmer and I can tell you I remember who stops by and acts appreciative and who doesn't. It seems that most hunters are respectful and gracious but you always have the occasional @HOLE.

What do you guys usually do to thank farmers who let you hunt on their land? What do you farmers normally appreciate the most? Being from CO, I always try to bring some elk backstrap and elk sausage with me. I figure that it's harder to come by in KS, plus everyone loves elk tenderloin.

For me just a simple thank you after the hunt or a christmas card is enough. I'm always interested in the amount of quail or ducks the guys kill anyway. When I'm out west hunting pheasant I'll sometimes go back with a ham, it seems like everybody likes ham. I also took a couple and their hired hand and wife to Dodge for dinner one night. Also if you are in the area during the off season drop by and just say hi. I guess what I'm trying to say is it really doesn't matter what you give them just make sure and show them your appreciation and you don't take them for granted.

You bring me a honey baked ham and you can shoot your 3 birds
here:D.
Priceless post SAS. Keeps you in a good spot for many years,it's just respect is all. And a must by all if we want free access to continue. "ASK and THANK":thumbsup:

What do you guys usually do to thank farmers who let you hunt on their land? What do you farmers normally appreciate the most? Being from CO, I always try to bring some elk backstrap and elk sausage with me. I figure that it's harder to come by in KS, plus everyone loves elk tenderloin.

I wish I had a farm so I could invite you to hunt in exchange for some of that elk meat! :)

Back