Dogs Receive Federal Junior Ranger Badge...

JMc

Super Moderator
My wife and I along with my GSP's Taz and old Ike were quail hunting today. As we were moving from one area to another in the truck we came across some other "hunters". As we passed them, a Redtail Hawk dropped down and they opened up on it. It fell to the ground. We stopped and they scurried over the hill. We backed up and took the tag number and called the rangers. As they use my athletic facilities, I know them well. By the time they arrived the hunters had scurried away. One of the rangers said, "I wish we had that hawk"...with that, we went back, put the dogs out and hunted dead. About 10 minutes later, not only do we have a dead hawk but the shells as well. I think someone has some 'splainin to do. This is a federal offense. As we were leaving, the rangers gave Taz and Ike both Junior Marshall badges. Kinda of corney, but I was proud of them. Maybe some pics later.

Good Dogs!

My wife and I along with my GSP's Taz and old Ike were quail hunting today. As we were moving from one area to another in the truck we came across some other "hunters". As we passed them, a Redtail Hawk dropped down and they opened up on it. It fell to the ground. We stopped and they scurried over the hill. We backed up and took the tag number and called the rangers. As they use my athletic facilities, I know them well. By the time they arrived the hunters had scurried away. One of the rangers said, "I wish we had that hawk"...with that, we went back, put the dogs out and hunted dead. About 10 minutes later, not only do we have a dead hawk but the shells as well. I think someone has some 'splainin to do. This is a federal offense. As we were leaving, the rangers gave Taz and Ike both Junior Marshall badges. Kinda of corney, but I was proud of them. Maybe some pics later.

Good dogs! Good citizenship too.

That's a cool story! Great work! As a youngster, I was stupid enough to think that the more hawks I shot, the better off the quail population would be. I understand now that there is much more to the puzzle than I once realized. Hopefully they lay the law down on those folks. I know I wasn't doing the "hunters' name" any favors by shooting hawks out the window of my truck!! If I'd ever been caught, I sure would've deserved the punishment.

JMc, I appreciate what you did! My dad told me as soon as I got my first BB Gun that if I shot any bird that was a "good" bird, like Robins, Meadowlarks or Wrens he would tan my hide. Needless to say he tanned my hide for many things but never for shooting those types of birds. When I got my first .22 he told me the same thing about hawks, again, he tanned my hide but never for shooting hawks! :D

I believe it is a mandatory 5 year prison sentence. They will probably shy away from picking up the soap. Now ,if I could only train my dog to find dead birds.LOL. Great job!!!!!:thumbsup:

I don't pay much attention to punishments for crimes I don't intend to commit in the near future, but my guess is that they won't see any jail time out of it.....IF they are even prosecuted. Fines maybe, but no jail time.

yeah I wouldn't see jail time in their future, nobody ever gets what they really deserve for this kind of stuff.

Hopefully they take their hunting privileges away for awhile, and fine them out their a$$! I'd be happy with that.

Nice story! Nice job!:thumbsup: Thanks for helping us all.

Rod

Nice work Jim, I am happy the dogs got the rewards they so richly deserve. You did us all a favor Thank you .........Bob

I would be surprised if they get a slap on the wrist. This is something they do not fool around with. It is a Federal offense and I believe it is mandatory. I have a friend who had a feather hanging from his mirror in his truck and it cost him a lot of money and heartache to keep from going to jail. You could do less time for manslaughter. They do not mess around with this.

Back