Dogs Change, I Guess

BritChaser

Jen is now 6.5. At the vet last month for a brief exam and one annual vax, for the first time ever she was resistant and growling; I had to restrain her. Same nice, gentle, excellent vet. I let her sleep on the bed and in the past year she started growling when I change sides in the middle of the night. She also growls on occasion when I make contact with her in bed while getting settled after turning out the reading lamp. No other behavioral changes. Other than this, same good dog. Just getting grumpy in middle age?

Looking forward to reading your takes on this.

Last edited:
I have found and others have confirmed 5 to 6 year old females spayed or never having had pups seem to have a identity crisis about the dominant role. It is like there biological clock is pushing them.

I have found and others have confirmed 5 to 6 year old females spayed or never having had pups seem to have a identity crisis about the dominant role. It is like there biological clock is pushing them.
interesting. she was spayed as a pup.

I have had dogs for 45 years, most all females, and don't breed them. Most have been spayed, and I have never had a dog growl. It could be a genetic thing, but more than likely results in the socialization as a puppy. Boredom, anxiety, fear, etc all can make a dog aggressive but these things are prevented by proper socialization. We do this to prevent fear and anxiety. I think it can also occur when puppies are taken from the litter at an early age. A local lady here had some nicely bred retriever puppies about 2 weeks ago and was sending them home at 6 weeks. Puppies in the litter shouldn't leave til 8 weeks. There are also conditions of pain and medical conditions that bring on aggression. As can age, but I would think we are talking about a dog that is 10 years plus if we are going to point to age.

I am sure some have had 5 and 6 year old females that were spayed and never bred that became aggressive, but I bet they would have been aggressive regardless.

Last edited:
Jen is now 6.5. At the vet last month for a brief exam and one annual vax, for the first time ever she was resistant and growling; I had to restrain her. Same nice, gentle, excellent vet. I let her sleep on the bed and in the past year she started growling when I change sides in the middle of the night. She also growls on occasion when I make contact with her in bed while getting settled after turning out the reading lamp. No other behavioral changes. Other than this, same good dog. Just getting grumpy in middle age?

Looking forward to reading your takes on this.
I'm assuming this dog is a Brittany? Similar to westks, I've had dogs for 50 years with the vast majority being spayed females. I've never bred a dog of mine. My last 3 dogs have been female Brittanys. I have never experienced a situation like you describe. It's certainly not normal and I doubt it has anything to do with being spayed. Strange that a dog would develope that behavior after you having her for 6.5 years. My best guess it's a genetic issue unless that is something bothering the dog that you haven't determined yet. Good luck.

I have a 7 yr old spayed setter with blue eyes and a permanent leg injury. She has started growling too in the last couple years. She lays in her kennel in the house and we shut the door at night. That’s when she growls. I contribute it to a defense to injured leg, poor eye sight in the dark. It startles you but I would say mine is not agessive

Who is Alpha in this relationship?? In bed?? More Jen info please.
she's always been a house dog and goes everywhere with me. it's always been just the two of us. while there's some growling in bed, in the wee hours she will snuggle against me. i'm thinking just getting older and cranky.

My old setter (12) growls in bed, too. It started after she was spayed but I did that very late in life (10). Not sure I have an opinion on that angle. I always thought she was being a little grouchy. It is a little comical because she has no intention of doing anything but being vocal with me. I get grouchy- so I don't really begrudge her being a little miffed....

she's always been a house dog and goes everywhere with me. it's always been just the two of us. while there's some growling in bed, in the wee hours she will snuggle against me. i'm thinking just getting older and cranky.
I think you just answered your own question with the statement "it's always been just the two of us.". I always socialize my puppies very well. At 8 weeks they go to school with me every day. They go into the classrooms with the students. I let others take the dogs around the school. I used to have my high school students take my puppy out for bathroom breaks. I expose them to as many people and as many situations as possible. They go crazy when we go to the vet. They love everyone there and know they are going to get lots of treats. You may think the dog is just getting old and cranky, but 6.5 is a dog in its prime. Instead, it is a dog getting territorial because of a trust issue. There could be an underlying condition, maybe something as simple as a bad tooth. But even in pain, something has caused a trust issue. It is always hard to diagnose a situation where we are not familiar with or have seen the socialization and upbringing of a dog, because everyone else's definition is different. But if ruling out health issues is done, it leads one to believe it is a social issue. It doesn't matter if a dog is 2 month old, 6.5 years old, or 12 years old. A well socialized dog will not growl at it's owner, unless it is in pain.

Last edited:
My first Chesapeake was the stereotypical Chesapeake actually the only one I’ve ever had that was really like that. She was spayed but late at like 4 or 5 when she was under getting stitched up for something else. I never let her get on furniture until she was older. I never stepped over her on the floor I made her get up and move. Once I started letting her get on furniture she claimed a recliner and growled at me a few times at about six when I’d make her get off of it. She died of cancer at seven. I don’t think the growling and cancer were related I think she had just forgotten her place.

Last edited:
If this is a Brittany - I am surprised. I am not sure in the 40+ years I have owned Brittanys that I have had one growl at me. I can and have reached into every dogs bowl while they are eating and they do not growl or snap. My Britts hate the vet but they tend to shake or squirm and not get aggressive or defensive. All my dogs live inside with us. They do get to hang on the couch with us (the dog den) and on occasion my one male will find a spot on the bed. If I move - he usually jumps off.

I really wonder if something isn't wrong with her ... arthritis, hips ... some type of pain.

why so? to negative the growling?

Yes. I would not let any dog that was reactive or growled at people or other dogs on the bed. There’s nothing wrong with the dog, it just needs to understand its place, and one of the easiest, most effective, and least confrontational ways dogs understand hierarchy is by hierarchies of place and position.

Yeah, I wouldn’t overthink it. She has forgotten her place a bit and is getting a bit to comfortable.Can happen to any dog. Doesn’t matter the breed. Always tougher when the dog has been around awhile though and it seems out of character. Still an animal.

Just cone the dog at the vet. I do it to mine. She gets cagey. Is what it is.

I agree with Springer. Since they can't tell us why, It's just a guess. Could be arthritis, and it hurts a little to move? Could be territorial, I wouldn't fret unless they bite you or someone else. That would be a tuff one. My buddy had a setter that got so grumpy he couldn't get him out of the dog box. What do you say? He gave us many, many great years so we were not going to begrudge him if he wants to stay in the dog box for the night! 🍻

Had a spayed gsp that slept on the bed - she'd growl when we moved around sometimes. I think it was because we'd startled her. It was more of a protest than a threat. Never showed any aggression anywhere else. Regardless, we ended the bed thing and she lived to 16 with no other issues.
As mentioned, i'd take your dog to the vet to rule out any physical issues. My friend's golden retriever bit me hard in the hand while petting him one day. That dog loved me, so it was really weird and the family was shocked. A trip to the vet found an abscessed tooth.

Back