Dogs caught in SNARES!

That would be a scary and tense situation, for both you and your dog...good reason to always know where you dog is.

That's why I carry a heavy duty wire cutter in my bird vest. Haven't had to use it yet and hope it never comes out of it's pocket. Glad your dog ended up ok after the ordeal.

Hey prairiepork, can you elaborate the general location where you encountered this snare? Was it on public or private land, what type of habitat, and which state? For us trying to avoid a potentially catastrophic situation like yours, that information would be very helpful. I honestly don't even know what to look for.

In ND coyotes are hard to trap but easy to snare. Are usually set on paths in and out of thickets, often on creek banks. Also on travel routes.
Be prepared.

That's why I carry a heavy duty wire cutter in my bird vest. Haven't had to use it yet and hope it never comes out of it's pocket. Glad your dog ended up ok after the ordeal.
Exactly have a pair in my vest along with a device to release conibear traps. Only had to use the cutters once and that was when we were hunting our family farm where no one had permission to trap. Sons griff got snare around her leg, luckily she stopped and stood still until we got her cut out. We found 6 more that morning and we left all six cut in pieces by the last one. Never found another one on that farm.

Private land. Nebraska. I've hunted this place enough, and I noticed a "game trail" heading through brush to a creek. But it was bigger and more defined than I remembered in the past, and it caught my attention. Just then, the dog ran by me and hit the snare. I was fortunate to be right there to settle him down.
I did not have CABLE CUTTERS(wire cutters don't work), but I've seen snares, and figured I could get it off. This was a "cam-lock" snare and I had never seen one before. You can imagine the panic at that point. I thought I would lose him right in my lap!
I wish I could say I was calm and figured out how the cam-lock worked, which is actually quite simple, but in the heat of the moment I was just trying to keep him alive. I was able to use a Leatherman to bend a piece holding the lock to the wire, and got it off, whewww.
Whatever works, he's alive.
However, DO NOT rely on a multi-tool. I was lucky.
I have cable cutters, I'll bring them from now on.

One more thing. If this happens, get the snare off the post or tree or whatever it is anchored to as quickly as you can. Usually has a clip on the end to attach it to something. Then the snare won't tighten anymore.
This is all hindsight reliving this terrible event over and over in my head.
hope this helps others. i'll take all the stress if it helps you to not go through what i did.

Yes - I carry the same cutters. They are designed to cut the metal snare wire used to make snares. I purchased mine from "A" in 2016 after quite a bit of research on hunting and trapping web sites.

FELCO F7 Wire Cutter. Easy to search and find. In 2016, purchased from "A" and it still shipped from Europe.
1702738822019.png

I would not trust anything from a home depot or hardware store unless it specifically states what it can cut. I would suggest testing your wire cutter if you do not have the one above. You can find snare wire at outdoor stores in the trapping section.

Last edited:
Snaring for coyotes is common in western MN and the Dakotas, but it is a bit less frequent right now because pelt prices are low.

Calling and shooting coyotes is much more common especially where night vision equipment is now legal.

If there is snow on the ground, you can road hunt fox and coyotes. You can catch them sleeping on the sunny south side of hills sleeping when it is subzero and there is a north wind. Did it often during Christmas break with my brother some 25+ years ago.

2-3 years ago in Iowa. Dog was caught in a snare in a ditch. She was on point. Idk if on a bird or bait. Luckily it hadn't tighten too much but barely could get it off her.

Does anyone know if the Felco 5 would work? I bought it and haven't had to use thankfully.

Like A5 ... I have never seen a snare set in the field or observed a coyote trapped in one.
Well I sure have....including the one that was around my 4 month old gwp.... I was able to get it to release after a very difficult 10 minutes.(not all snares are constructed to release)..
When I got back to town, I took every side cutter the store had to the back wall where the wire cable was and proceeded to test. Only 1 of the side cutters worked to my satisfaction....which I promptly bought..

As a side note....the guy I got my pup from had his big male pointer die in his arms when he couldn't get a snare off. This was in wyoming a decade ago.

Conibears is a whole different ball game......if you ever see a bucket on it's side out in the field, assume it's a set until proven otherwise....

Some states require posting for active trap lines....plenty don't... so we are mostly on are own to figure out what the level of risk is in any given area and make a decision we can live with.
ignorance is not bliss for your dogs safety when it comes to snares and conibears....legholds, not such a big deal...I have had to release a dog 1/2 dozen times over 50 years with no ill effects.

Back