Dog Vest or No Vest?

I can see why some elect not to put a vest on their best friend. There are lots of factors to consider. I like the protection from some minor and unnecessary scratches. I use the Cuga on my three year old Viszla and will definitely check into the Cabelas Ripstop for my 10 week old Vizsla puppy. We bust through some tough cover, mainly cattails, which are hard on dogs. The leaves can cause the worst of "paper cuts". The stem that protrudes out of the cattail cob put a nice puncture in the chest of Ellie her first season as she bound through the cattails. The high visibility is icing on the cake. Using different colors on Ellie and her sister last fall made it easy to distinguish. A little insulation when it gets cold in December/January. Seeing all the pheasants this spring and early summer sure does have me itching for October.
Dogs are far tougher than you indicated. toughen up!

Barb wire conditioning should be early part of any puppy training process. I have a couple of places, where I run puppies, that they get to learn what barb wire is, that it hurts, and how to cross it. I normally have 3-4 dogs on my truck and they do not wear vests.

To each his own.

It looks like I’m going to get one for my English Cocker Spaniel before the season starts. Not that I think he really needs it but I have been told by my wife that if the little boy gets hurt there will be hell to pay. Figure it’s cheap insurance and will keep me out of the doghouse.
Well wouldn't you know it Ernie went and had a run in with some barbed wire yesterday. Worst part is my wife happened upon my earlier post about getting him a vest so had to explain why I didn't get one yet. We've run in this area a dozen times and never had a problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200816-140227_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200816-140227_Gallery.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 15
Well wouldn't you know it Ernie went and had a run in with some barbed wire yesterday. Worst part is my wife happened upon my earlier post about getting him a vest so had to explain why I didn't get one yet. We've run in this area a dozen times and never had a problem.
Ernie doesn't look very happy...Get well soon Ernie.

Back