Dog transport?

Hub

How do you folks transport your pheasant hounds? I've got a two door insulated aluminum dog box. In the early season I do the driving and my buddy puts his two dogs in one side, and I put my two in the other. In the late season when it gets cold we stick my dog box in my buddies truck with a topper and he does the driving.

Tony travels in a Vari-Kennel or one like it. He was trained from a puppy to travel that way. Take him out of his kennel now and make him travel, he is totally lost. He just don't know how. I have water in there for him and it is my SUV so he is warm or cool whatever the weather dictates. If I have someone with me that has a dog we out a second kennel in th SUV. They are side by side so that is nice.---Bob

Last edited:
My 12 year old won't go into a box so he rides in the backseat of my truck. My 6 year old lab loves riding in my diamond plate dog box.

lefty

stick27Jan08043.jpg

M.R. Byrd Great Pic

We usually drive a jeep Cherokee. Open the hatch and in they go.

When I drive over to meet up with the guys I usually drive my car. The middle of the back seat folds down. I put a piece of wire shelving in front of it and my dogs ride in the trunk for the 40 min drive to meet the rest of the guys. The problem I have now is that anytime I open the trunk the dogs jump in thinking they get to go hunting. The other day I opened the hood to check the oil and my dog jumped on top of my engine :eek:.

Molellermd; That is funny the dog jumping onto the engine. You must a eager-beaver dog.---Bob

I have a cap for my pickup and I use a couple of Vari-kennels and haven't had any problems yet going from Michigan to South Dakota. I keep the windows cracked open and stop every so often to let the dogs out. Once, my lab got into a skunk right before we were heading home from SD. Sure would have been a long drive if I was still driving my SUV. It was bad enough just loading up the truck.

Scott

Scott...Have you tried the 1 teaspoon of dish soap, 1 quart of peroxide, 1 cup of baking soda mixture for removing skunk smell? It absoutely works like magic. Nobody in my party is ever without the concotion. It just part of the dog bags now. We've been skunked so often that we carry rubber gloves and cheapie rain poncho that we just throw after clean up. My god there are a lot of skunks in the Dakotas.

Scott, I have carried that concoction Hub tells of for 9 years. Tony has never needed it. One time a dog That belonged to my son, got into a skunk. We were lucky to be near a creek. We took there used the concoction and then gave her a bath in Dish Soap I carry for washing hands. She smelled fine for the ride home.---Bob

I haven't tried that but I will take that with me this fall...thanks. Hopefully I won't need it. We took my dog to a pond and washed her the best we could. She still wasn't exactly smelling like roses but it was better than before.

Scott

Back