Dog training license?

zoellner25

Do you need a license to train dogs in CO with live birds? I moved here from WI and the state required one for releasing any game birds (chukar, pheasant, etc) for purposes of shooting them for training on public lands. Haven't found an answer on google searches thus far. Can you do that here? Thanks.
Derek

For training on State Wildlife Area properties, you need a bird release permit, specific to the SWA where you are training.

We have one for Banner and Cobb Lake SWAs.

Also, we belong to the Rocky Mountain Sporting Dog Club and do training on club leased land.

I can never find anything on the Department of Parks and Wildlife website, but you can contact Megan Barton at DoPW via email megan.barton@state.co.us

O.K. do not quote me on this . In years past your receipt from the place you purchased birds from was to be on hand. Some SWA's in Colorado allow bird release and training with a permit purchased from the division. Call Steve Secor from Field trial game birds North of Ft. Collins. He would sure know. One of the SWA's is right across the road from him. If you can't google his number let me know. You can't run a commercial game farm release hunt until Sept 1- March 31st. I believe you still can purchase birds for release and training anytime on Private. But check on it! I know I have done Pigeons and chukar before Sept. :cheers:

BB is right ... you need to keep your receipt when you buy birds for training, I forgot to mention that.

Cobb Lake doesn't allow you to train with pigeons.

So for SWAs you need a bird release permit AND receipt.

Don't get caught without them.

Also, if you have a few friends training with you, then you need a group training permit.

You can train at Cobb during the summer, but need to have all the paperwork, just in case. I have been up there for the last few weekends and haven't seen any CO State Wildlife Officers. They start patrolling frequently ~Sept 1.

Great info, thanks guys. I'll look into this. Just wanted to cover my butt if I ever got checked. Any good places between Thornton and Ft Collins to buy birds for release? I live just north of Erie. I've seen one or two guys selling on Craigslist.

Steve Secor @ Field Trial Game Birds is my go to guy for birds.
http://www.fieldtrialgamebirds.net/Contact-Us.html
Steve has Chukar, pheasants and ducks. Steve's place is about 1 mile from Cobb Lake. He always has birds. Some of the other places are seasonal and possibly not as reliable. Also, Steve is a really good guy.

Ron Oakleaf has birds from time to time at Cobb Lake Game Birds.

rules and reg.

under colorado fish and game you can click on rules and reg and from there you can find some of what you are req. to know but as in most cases the f&g get pretty poor marks at doing most things except writing tickets but explaining what is happening ain't one of them. anyway on our outing tomorrow with pastor john's pup quail hunting, it seems our only requirement is to not have any load shells with us, blanks only

You can train as an "individual" in areas like the BLM land and National forest without a permit or license. However, under the DOW if you have pen raised birds, other than pigeons which are considered "feral" and do not fall under DOW, you will need the receipt from the place you purchased them to show proof. Also, most places tag their ducks, pheasants, chukar, quail to show that they are pen raised (a tag, clipped toe nail, etc).

Like others said on this thread, double check the DOW rules and regs and you can also call your regional office and ask them.

That's why I always use pigeons and if I get dead ducks from a test or trial, I just get someone from the club to make me a copy of their receipt.

CYA

Greg

Also, for those new to Colorado, keep your receipt after you go to a hunting preserve ... you wouldn't want to be stopped by DOW with a few hens in your cooler, or with harvested birds outside of the normal hunting season. ;)

:cheers:

Steve Secor @ Field Trial Game Birds is my go to guy for birds.
http://www.fieldtrialgamebirds.net/Contact-Us.html
Steve has Chukar, pheasants and ducks. Steve's place is about 1 mile from Cobb Lake. He always has birds. Some of the other places are seasonal and possibly not as reliable. Also, Steve is a really good guy.

Ron Oakleaf has birds from time to time at Cobb Lake Game Birds.

We are going up to Cobb Lake this weekend and checked in with Steve Secor, he doesn't have any Chukar right now, but does have ducks. Ron Oakleaf at Cobb Lake Game Birds does have quail though.

Back