Dog in Heat Questions

MNMEAD

I just got the text from my wife that our 9mo old GSP just went into heat. We knew it was only a matter of days, its been obvious it was close for the past week and a half or so. I've never had a dog go into heat. Every dog I had growing up was spayed before the first cycle, but we wanted to wait with her until she was a year old based on some newer guidelines from research and vets. Is there anything I need to be aware of (other than male dogs) in daily life or the next couple of weeks of hunting? I assume everything is business as usual and she can work just as much as she has, but wanted to verify with others too.

Our 10 month lab just went into heat yesterday. Besides spotting there is little difference in her. As mentioned, if there are male dogs in the neighborhood, I would watch her close.

I too went through this back in October. I just kept a close eye on her and didn’t leave her unattended even in my fenced in backyard. I personally did have an incident with rather large temperament change. I believe there were other factors but I do think her hormones played a role.

They hunt just fine in heat. Just keep them close so nobody else runs into you. Now if you also have an intact male he maybe out to lunch for a while.

Back