dog catches a pheasant

5 years ago my GSP ran down two different birds, I had my knee replaced that spring and I had to drive as I was done walking that day. They kicked up a hen, I couldn't get the sit whistle out fast enough and he was off after her, the first 100 yards she was ahead but he caught her in the air right around 400 yards out and proudly brought her back alive. the next day he was working cattails and he started acting weird for him, then a pintail drake cleared the cattails and he nabbed him a couple of feet over the cattails again from the air. He hasn't done it since then but I have him run closer to me when hunting and his points are still solid

Only time I hunted in SD. Used a guide since it was my first time there and he had a pack of labs that shredded my three pheasants, my brother’s three pheasants and caught two others before they got airborne (and shredded them). The guy tried to add those two to my brother and my bag limit but that’s another story.
Note to self: skip the guide next time.

5 years ago my GSP ran down two different birds, I had my knee replaced that spring and I had to drive as I was done walking that day. They kicked up a hen, I couldn't get the sit whistle out fast enough and he was off after her, the first 100 yards she was ahead but he caught her in the air right around 400 yards out and proudly brought her back alive. the next day he was working cattails and he started acting weird for him, then a pintail drake cleared the cattails and he nabbed him a couple of feet over the cattails again from the air. He hasn't done it since then but I have him run closer to me when hunting and his points are still solid
What? Your dog ran down a flying pheasant that wasn't wounded?? What!

What? Your dog ran down a flying pheasant that wasn't wounded?? What!
I know, right?!?! And a pintail!! You know, because a dog can spring out of cattails, some water, & 6-12" of muck a lot better than a pintail. That literally takes a pintail about 1/4 of a second to be well out of range of any dog. They go pretty much straight up! How close would a dog have to sneak to a wary duck (through water & cattails) in order to do that?? I'm thinking within a couple feet. Skeptical to say the least.

I've seen my lab catch 2 wild roosters in our 8 seasons of hunting together, as far as I could tell they were not wounded. He's gotten a few mouthfuls of tailfeathers too. Late season when hens start holding really tight, he usually catches a few every year.

Have a GSP that has caught a hen or three, I flushed one right into his face he never really even took a step. Last year I actually picked up a rooster (wild) off of one of his points completely uninjured, did the same with a hen a few before, both were after a good snow.

Back