Dog blinking birds

texasbirdhunter

I got a chance to buy my dogs sister last week for a great price so I'm headed to Iowa next week to get her, a breader in Iowa has had her since she was a pup and he uses her for a brood bitch because of her bloodline. the problem is he sent her to a trainer 2 years ago for some finish work so he could get her titled but the trainer leaned on her too hard and now she's blinking birds. He sent her to another trainer that I know last year for a short time and the trainer said he could fix her but the breeder didn't want to spend the time or money on her. So I called the trainer and he said that she wants to point but something goes off in her head when she gets on birds. I think that with some TLC and I buddy up with her that I can gain her trust along with hunting her with seasoned dogs, I think I can bring her out of it. Has any body out there run across this before and what did you do to fix ithe problem. She was a great dog before this and I hope she will be again.

What do you want the dog to do, flush or point. Is she not chasing? Will she pick up birds and deliver?
If you want her to flush which is what Labs are born to do, you can try to put her on the lead or chain her up, let her watch up close and personal when you plant birds for another dog. Let that dog have all the fun for a while. Take her out at the end and just toss a retrieve and put her away. Do this for awhile, then chain the two together and plant a bird. Let her go. If she goes in hard shoot the bird. If she goes in slow shoot and let it fly away. When I say awhile I don't mean 2 days. Things especially problems take time. It can't be determined as to how long by any one, just the dog. The person doing any training for problem solving has to be able to read the dog and determine how long something goes or if you need to change up something. This may or may not work, but it does quite often. It is just a simple thing any one should be able to do.

First off she's a pointer by nature not a flushing lab I realize you may not have herd of pointing labs like a lot of guys on this forum, these dogs are natural pointers from birth it's not taught. What she's doing is hunting getting on scent and then going away from it, after the bird goes down she will retreive it. I think the trainer that messed her up corrected her while she was on point for creping and now she associates the bird with a correction. I do like your idea's and they are worth a try if I need to. I was reading this morning that some dogs that have developed this problem only do it on planted birds and not wild ones they can smell human scent on the planted birds. I don't know what to expect yet until I get her and see what I'm up against. Thanks for the idea's.

Last edited:
Back