Doesn't get much better than this!

nstric

Deer hunted on Saturday, knocking down four good sized doe. Keep in mind my wing shooting is FAR superior to my deer shot, and yet I manage four deer. I've had many years where I didn't even get a shot, let alone a shot at four. And I passed on two basket rack bucks and at least another half dozen doe. Luck was in my corner this year, apparently. The best part? I sponsored two needy families and gifted them each a deer, gave one to HUSH, and kept one for my family.

Sunday . . . out of town with my oldest boy, who's indoor soccer team swept the competition. 3-3 'shooting'. See what I did there? ;-)

Monday and Tuesday . . . decided I better work a few days before yearend. Okay, better could have been had here, but hey, I enjoy my job.

Today, Wednesday . . . I get another chance to take a friend and two of his children out to do some bird hunting. I'd been saving this spot, as it's close to home and free from deer hunters. The thawing chiseled corn fields made for less than desirable walking at times, but the birds numbers, oh my! Less than 30 minutes of hunting, birds holding tight, excellent dog work, solid shooting, and lots of smiles. We found this older truck to be perfect photo opt on the drive home.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B856%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D%3Bgig48i80%3A%3B76%2F729%3B0%3Behh%2F76h%3Ad3g949%3A%3Aot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv37492%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3Df99c33f80c33%3C%2F73df0dh9d%2F4df2e%3Ai745i6ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv333%3A6%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D%3A942%3Adh%3B09%3A9%3B%2F766h0df29%2F367e9%3A8936%3C6ot1lsi

LOl....sounds like your riding a rainbow about now. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Great photos Nate. Thanks for sharing.

Nick

I love when a plan comes together !!! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures . Maybe you should by a lottery ticket :)

We went through those years when we shot a lot of does here in NC WI. Now thanks to our slaughtering the herd, along with a lot of help from wolves, bear, cougar, coyotes, fisher, we have no deer. I've seen two deer, hunting 6 days each season, in the last 7 seasons combined. I suspect MIforester will be experiencing the same, as the reports I'm getting from the UP aren't any better than my own.

We see a couple deer every year while pheasant hunting NC IA, but I don't see deer numbers that would justify shooting so many does. Not trying to start a fight, but based on our experiences I'm wondering how this will all work out for you in the future.

Probably like ND, we have a lottery system for deer. A large number of hunters get turned away now. That's likely what you'll see...a lottery.

We see a couple deer every year while pheasant hunting NC IA, but I don't see deer numbers that would justify shooting so many does. Not trying to start a fight, but based on our experiences I'm wondering how this will all work out for you in the future.

I agree with you . . . the need for conservation and would offer my group's actions were representative of such. 12-15 guys, and we shot 6 deer that first day. Two the following day (I didn't hunt). Many more tags were purchased than deer harvested. I just happened to be Johnny on the Spot this year, and as mentioned in my OP, I normally experience the contrary.

I personally saw nearly 100 deer in roughly 6 hours of hunting on Opener. Of that amount, I had shots on about 20. I elected to take 4, and connected on each.

We have so, so many deer (south central Iowa). They are everywhere, from within city limits to across the countryside. I have no qualms in the least in taking that taken, particularly given three of the four went to families very much hurting to put food on their tables. I had the pleasure of personally delivering two of them, and let me tell you, that was highly rewarding. Being able to serve in that regard is important to me, and something I work to model within my own family. The last deer went to the processor, and will feed me and mine.

So again, I agree with you and wish many more were as mindful of conservation as you appear to be. I try to do the same, and believe in this case, I did just that.

Thanks for chiming in!

I've never seen 100 deer in a season, much less in one day! Taking 6 deer in a party of 15 paints a different picture than you taking 4. Obviously you're not slaughtering off the herd like we did here in WI and MI. I argued with my group that we shouldn't be shooting so many does, my cries falling on deaf ears until we started getting skunked. Their change in heart was too late. And also, while you've got yotes, you don't have the other predators we have here. You can still shoot yotes, while we are banned from shooting them during deer season, the DNR afraid we'll shoot their beloved wolf.

Our predator populations are out of control. For about a 10 year period our group of 7 would find 10-12 deer killed by wolves during our 9 day deer hunt. We don't see that now because there are so few deer left. Now, deer are congregated around people's homes for protection from wolves and to be fed by the local residents.

DNR just found Chronic Wasting Disease in Oneida County. A baiting and feeding ban will go into effect in that and surrounding counties, which includes my area. Stores are still selling corn and most people believe the feeders will still put out the corn. But go 1/4 - 1/2 mile away from the subdivisions and you're hard pressed to see a deer track.

Thank God I still have bird hunting!

Different worlds indeed! While we've coyotes, and many of them, we've no wolves to speak of. And we shoot the coyotes both while deer hunting (we did on Saturday) and for sport (although I personally don't). We humans, mostly behind the wheel of a car, are the biggest threat to our deer herd.

Grew up in WI 70s

We had a group of about 20 guys and would hunt for a week, Goodman area. Drives, stands, stalking and between all of us would maybe see 3 deer. You would think that with all the education, boom and bust of other programs these guys would have a better idea of how to manage the resource. Getting the idea that only thing left to hunt are predators.

Back