Does anyone hunt Medicine Creek state recreation area?

nc bird man

We are planning a Pheasant/Quail combo hunt to South Central Nebraska in November. I was wondering if anyone has hunted the Medicine Creek State Recreation area lands. Any info you might share would be greatly appreciated.

nc bird man

Medicine Creek

I have hunted that area for years. The quail population is slowly coming back, but no where near where it was. Nebraska values turkeys above quail, and where turkey populations thrive, quail populations suffer. And it has suffered. We used to see 8-10 coveys on any given weekend, 8-10 years ago. Now if I see 2-3 I feel like it is a good weekend. I take 2-3 birds and never chase singles.

The good news is that the pheasant population around there is better than it has been in 20 years. Lots of birds. Naturally, like just about everywhere fence to fence agriculture and loss of CRP is creeping in, but not nearly as bad as eastern Colorado or Western Kansas.

There isn't a lot of public land in that area, but the farmers are a really decent bunch. I have only been refused access if they have family coming for the Thanksgiving holiday to hunt, or something like that. Otherwise permission is almost always granted.

My advice, stop and talk to any farmer you see in the field. They will know who owns what, and where to find them. Use your cell phone to get the information and either call or drive over to see the owner. They have almost without exception been gracious and good to talk to.

Good luck.

I may just be bitter but, NR turkey tag $100 for 1 turkey, NR small game $85. CO hunters flock to NE for turkeys. Need more be said.

Sorry to through the thread off.

the quail are booming on medicine creek WMA. The wildlife boys up there have been managing it more for upland hunting with lots of early succession areas. Pheasants are hit and miss though. A lot of them get pushed to heavy cover or onto private early in the season, then will trickle back as pressure lessens.

Does a guy need a special permit to hunt the area or just the normal license with habitat stamp? Just wondering if I could show up and start hunting or is there more to it than that? Thanks.

Back