Does any bird hunter...

Is there any bird hunters that have ever hunted pigeons? i saw a video on you tube and theres some people out of Idaho that actually use decoys and spinners and decoy them in just like waterfowl. they shoot a couple of banded ones! i never knew there was such thing. you can watch some of the videos on www.soarnomore.com. has anyone heard or seen anything like this???

Yes, we do it out here when we can. It a is a good sport to keep your shooting eyes in shape.---Bob

Yep, pigeon shooting is good fun. Just like shooting doves, but pigeons are lots tougher to knock down. And just like doves, they cook up as delicious as gizzards. Yuk.

I haven't done it for a while but we have a treed plot that's on the RR Right-of-way about a 1\4 mile from a feed lot. The shooting is generally fast and furious. Fun times :D

its a blast

Ya, i have pigeon hunted for years. its the best training that a young bird dog can get. i use the soar no more decoys myself for the pigeon hunting i do, and yes i do use spinners and a combination is deadly. shooting them out of barns and places like that are no fun, you have to decoy them to have some fun. ive killed 9 bands so far, but if you havent done it, you have to try it!

We used to hunt Bandtailed pigeons in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California when i was a kid. You had to scout to find out where the pigeons flew over the ridges between their roost and the acorns then set up and wait early in the am and late in the evening. fast and furious pass shooting. Most of the places we used to hunt have houses on them now, too bad.

Yep, pigeon shooting is good fun. Just like shooting doves, but pigeons are lots tougher to knock down. And just like doves, they cook up as delicious as gizzards. Yuk.

After a session throwing clays on the back forty we ran into three pigeons picking up spilled grain left from the recent harvest. They weren't too bright, but they weren't easy targets either. They let me get within 20 yards then flushed. After knocking the first one down, they circled while I reloaded then took the other two down. These guys had been feeding on grain long enough to taste pretty good - even my very skeptical family ate them. Grilled them up - yum!

Do people band them like they do waterfowl?

Back