Do you use protection?

Birdbuster

Tell us more. How do they do with wind? How much hearing reduction do you get when not shooting ie just walking around?

KB- If you're deaf you won't be able to hear a rooster cackle or his wings! In the ear you can hear everything thats going on and probably better than going without.

Talked to a rep at Westone about there #39 ear plugs. They are the ones that have the sonic valve in them with no hearing amplification. From my understanding it is the amplification circuit that causes problems with wind and grass/corn field nosies. They are about $75 an ear. He said that when the valve is not closed you can except a 25db reduction in high frequency noises. He stated that if you currently had good hearing this 25db reduction would still put you in the average range of hearing that is considered exceptable for normal hearing. Of course none of us probably have good hearing because we have been running around shooting shotguns with no hearing protection.:eek: I might take the plunge and get a pair.

Birdbuster

Tell us more. How do they do with wind? How much hearing reduction do you get when not shooting ie just walking around?

I purchased them after the season ended last January and have used them very limited so far. I hunted grouse a few weeks ago and was impressed with them on that outing. Not much wind that trip. They insulate you ear canal so it does keep air out so seemed to keep my ear warmer for sure. They do limit some of your ability to hear when walking around but it is not major. They did block gun fire very well and I did not have any ringing issues in my ears later.

I also have the ear muff type U-Guide speaks of, these get hot when wearing them for very long. I wanted something else for that reason.

Here is a link to the Westone earmold products I am referring to above:
http://www.westone.com/content/185.html

Talked to a rep at Westone about there #39 ear plugs. They are the ones that have the sonic valve in them with no hearing amplification. From my understanding it is the amplification circuit that causes problems with wind and grass/corn field nosies. They are about $75 an ear. He said that when the valve is not closed you can except a 25db reduction in high frequency noises. He stated that if you currently had good hearing this 25db reduction would still put you in the average range of hearing that is considered exceptable for normal hearing.

If I had not already splurged and bought the ESP analogs, I would be interested in trying these Westone mechanical devices. I looked at the Westone website and unfortunately they do not publish any noise reduction data or charts. If your comments above are accurate, that 25db reduction in high frequencies when the valve is NOT closed means you lose almost all high-frequency sounds all the time, as if you were wearing foam ear plugs for that high frequency range. Mid- and low-frequencies hopefully come through much better, such as most voices, wings beating, roosters cackling.

Back