Do you shoot coyotes while pheasant hunting?

I heard they worked a single area about a third of one county a few times this year and bagged 300+ in that one area.

As for coyotes not eating pheasants. Literally NONE of the ranchers I hunt with believes that at all. They back their opinions with actually seeing it happen.

YMMV
Crazy to think of that many being killed in such a small area. Friend in MT told me about having to call in a trapper last year during calving season and the number he got in just a few days was nuts.

I am not sure how many birds coyotes kill annually but I have seen it first hand. One morning driving a back road along some property we have permission to hunt and see a coyote crossing the field. Can tell it looks weird. This particular farmer wants coyotes shot. After a 223 bullet goes whipping through it drops what was in its mouth. We drove out and sure enough it was a pheasant. Not a claim to say that they kill a bunch but was first hand experience for me that is does happen at some level. Have never seen this play out again though.

I think they probably kill quite a few in marginal cover. I hear it a lot from farmers in SW Kansas. Usually it goes something like we saw quite a few young pheasants early but not lately, I think the coyotes got them. Sometimes they add that it’s due to lack of cover but most of the blame goes to the coyotes

We shoot them when ever possible to keep our MT rancher friends happy. Agree they likely have less impact than feral cats and hawks, but heard too many stories about coyotes and calving season.

I'd also like to volunteer to hang out the door of a plane with my Benelli or 3.

Last edited:
Back