Ditch Hunting

IOWA Hunting

grandpa always took me to go hunting, but it was always Ditch Hunting..
I like ditch hunting, but I would rather be out there in the brushy field with some buddy's and picking off the rooster. I also seem to have better luck catching rooster in the fields anyways

How old was grandpa? Maybe it was just easyier walking on the road for him. Yes.... i enjoy the challenge of field hunting also.:cheers:

grandpa was pretty old, id say 60+.
and yeah I bet it would have been pretty tough on him walking through fields.
but I don't have any friends that like to hunt lol, I am from the city, and nobody cares for it really. I am literally the only one that takes hunting serious here..

Grew up in northern IA and we hunted lots of ditches, drainage ditches, and rr tracks. Heck around there that's all there is for the most part. And small farm groves. Yet the birds do well. Personaly I love walking some nice looking ditches. Works great if you have a few good miles to have 2 of ya. 1 gets out, the other drives ahead a mile and starts out. When you get to the car you go pick up your buddy. Worked great for track sections too. But now the rr is done. That was a bummer, loved hunting those rr tracks.

Worked great for track sections too. But now the rr is done. That was a bummer, loved hunting those rr tracks.

Yeah, this one bums me out:(. Rail road tracks were always my favorite to hunt pheasants.

Grew up in northern IA and we hunted lots of ditches, drainage ditches, and rr tracks. Heck around there that's all there is for the most part. And small farm groves. Yet the birds do well. Personaly I love walking some nice looking ditches. Works great if you have a few good miles to have 2 of ya. 1 gets out, the other drives ahead a mile and starts out. When you get to the car you go pick up your buddy. Worked great for track sections too. But now the rr is done. That was a bummer, loved hunting those rr tracks.

i don't think i have hunted the ditches enough then, ill take your advice and walk along some fine looking ditches and see if i cant get me a bird or two. btw i never have hunted a rr track yet but most of the time i see one i can just look at it and know there is bird along that

i grew up ditch hunting and would sit on the hood of my buddys truck and pop them off with the old 410 single shot. im thinking sitting on the hood was not leagle. if there wasent any in the ditch, we would walk the railroad. its not like it used to be thats for sure. im 42 and this thread sure has me thinking waaaay back.:thumbsup:

Back