Differences in the CREP program

Bob Peters

So here's what I know, and there's a lot more that I don't.

CREP is a government program designed to protect particularly important or sensitive pieces of land, a lot of it having to do with protecting watersheds. In SD where I've been you can hunt CREP, it shows up as brown on the map, often it has cattails, and I think most of it is tied into protecting the James River watershed. These contracts are usually set for a period of 10-15 years?

Now let's move on to MN, since there is CREP land there as well. In MN CREP land is a permanent conservation easement to enroll the land in a CRP type program, in this case RIM (Reinvest in MN). Although CREP in MN lasts forever, the owner retains rights to control access to the land, so it is still private and no hunting allowed without permission.

I'm just curious if I've got this right, and if so, why the differences in length of contract and hunting access between the two states?

The SD CREP money is added to the USDA CRP payment. The extra money comes from the SDGFP and is part of their hunter access program. Usually tied into the length of the CRP contract. CRP contract expires, so does CREP.
Can't speak to MN's program, but you did mention a permanent easement. Probably different pot of money and goals.

Its two different programs with the same name but confusing for hunters hunting both states.

Back