Dept of Parks and Wildlife ...

CO_Weimar

I have never seen nor interacted with a DoW or Dept of Parks and Wildlife officer while hunting in the last 5 years. Today, I was at a hunting preserve and a DoW truck drives onto the property an officer gets out and asks to see my hunting license.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I thought that this was very unusual.

Last edited:
Yep....Opening day 3 years ago. They checked licenses and Hip #s. No issues.

The final week of the season one guy waited for us to finish hunting a field. He checked licenses and birds. No issues.

But what about a hunting preserve? Where you pay, they plant birds and you go hunt ... no license required ...

That's odd. I hate the feeling of being watched while hunting, even if it by other hunters. Let's say you didn't have a license and you were stopped (say on the way home) would you have to explain to them the birds you shot were from a pheasant farm? What would happen?

I have never seen nor interacted with a DoW or Dept of Parks and Wildlife officer while hunting in the last 5 years. Today, I was at a hunting preserve and a DoW truck drives onto the property an officer gets out and asks to see my hunting license.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I thought that this was very unusual.

so whats the rest of the story? You said its a preserve and you didnt need a license and ....................

Not sure where youre going with this

Why would DoW show up at a licensed hunting preserve, (no license required) asking patrons for their hunting licenses?

It makes as much sense as the Colorado State Patrol pulling up to the Go-kart track and asking everyone for their Colorado Drivers License.

I would present my receipt, indicating the number and sex of the birds harvested at the preserve.

That's odd. I hate the feeling of being watched while hunting, even if it by other hunters. Let's say you didn't have a license and you were stopped (say on the way home) would you have to explain to them the birds you shot were from a pheasant farm? What would happen?

Honestly sounds like he was just heckling, looking for something to hastle you for. I've had a game warden yell at me for hunting on public land saying it was posted and then after realizing it was public land he claimed it was to close to town which was 3 miles down the road.

What did his or her name tag say? Maybe someone new, maybe not!

What did his or her name tag say? Maybe someone new, maybe not!

Her name tag said Jerri or Jenni ... I didn't have my reading glasses on. She had stopped another group of hunters on the same preserve property earlier in the morning.

My concern is getting hassled by someone either for no reason or out of ignorance. I train my dogs, help put on training clinics, etc. on preserve hunting grounds or leased land with training birds from bird suppliers and having a DoPW officer show up asking for a hunting license is a bit of a concern for me. There are many times when clubs put on training clinics, bird fun days, etc. with people who have never hunted before, but want to see what their dogs will do. Arguing with a wildlife officer in front of newbies at a training clinic makes for a bad first impression. :D

Not sure why you're receiving flak for posting this question, I'd be as concerned or 'wierded' out by the whole situation as well. I actually would have been pretty livid and told her "No." If you're on private property or one of those pay-n-play bird clubs where no licenses are required, what right does the DoW have to do that? None at all and I don't think it's a legitimate visit.

During Elk hunting on my property near Winter Park a few years back, my brother dropped a cow within sight, maybe 300 yds, from the county road. While cleaning it, we watched a DoW truck stop, reverse to our gate, open the gate and drive up our road to where we were. He got out and asked for our tags and DLs. My dad laughed and asked him if he knew where he was, he demanded licenses again and then things started to escalate very quickly when we asked him to leave. After 10 minutes of banter on whether or not he needed permission to be there, we agreed to meet back at our house when we were done cleaning the animal. When we got there, we were greeted the County Sheriff and a DoW Supervisor who were completely apologetic and congratulated my brother on his harvest, never brought up the tags and we never saw the initial DoW Officer again.

I don't know anything about preserves. Maybe there are special secret game warden rules?? I agree with that other guy; WHAT DID THE DOW LADY SAY WHEN YOU ASK "WHY" ??

I think it would have been funny to see the officers face if you produced 4 hens and said you didn't have a license! I have talked with a lot of game wardens, both state and federal while out hunting. I always try to treat them with respect knowing that they have a tough job and that everyone they contact is armed. Every once in a while you can get some pretty good info on where the birds are with just a bit of respect and understanding.

I had just shot a hen and had it in my vest - she never asked about what I had shot. She only asked if I was having any luck ... Blitz wasnt performing up to my expectations (which is why I was out there in the first place). I grumbled a response about having had better days.

BrittBoy - When I asked, she muttered something about rabbit season (???) and was just checking, which made no sense to me.

The whole situation made me feel very uneasy, especially when dealing with officials who can potentially confiscate firearms, vehicles, and hunting licenses - or at a minimum make for a very bad day while trying to sort out why there was some perceived infraction.

Preserve rules for bird hunting are basically the following:
Birds of either sex can be taken.
No limit on the number of birds harvested - you pay for the number of pen raised birds released.
There is a date range for hunting, which is longer than the actual hunting season. "Training" falls into a different category, with different rules.
At the completion of the hunt or the training session, the preserve operator provides a receipt for the number and sex of the birds harvested. The receipt is for when you are stopped by a wildlife official, with a dozen hens in your truck. :)

Your right about the rules on a preserve but that only applies to the birds not any other game animal which is controlled by the DOW regulations and they have every right to ensure those regs are being adhered to. As for driving onto the property if the officer actually drove their vehicle off the road into the field that's a complaint to the DOW from the land owner. It may seem odd that you were checked in a preserve but i don't think she was doing anything but enforcing the regulations which you obviously were not breaking any that is why you did not get a citation or loss of privileges. You can always call the DOW and they can get you in touch with the officers supervisor if you want more of an explanation, even if you don't know the name they know where the officers area is for that day.

Thanks Shorthair Hunters - good info!

I'm not one to complain about much or get fired up about things in general ... just makes me wonder. Also, I hope that DoW isn't using any excuse to do the equivalent of pulling people over because they couldn't plainly see a license plate or "driving erratically".

Apparently, I only drove erratically in Northglenn, Colorado when visiting my mom, given the number of times that I was pulled over there and not given a citation. The police there, seemingly used any excuse to make traffic stops.

:cheers:

Personally, I've had all good experiences with DOW folks. Even when I left my combo license in my fly vest. He let me fax my license to him after I got home. Another guy gave me a ride, helped me find my dog and delivered us both back to my truck..........AND DON'T POACH RABBITS :D

Back