Deer Recipes Needed

BritChaser

My cousin just gave me deer burger, steaks, and filets. Need recipes. Thanks!

Simply pan sear the filets med rare with a little salt and pepper, can't beat that. Deer burger we make oakie tacos.:cheers:

The trick is to not over cook deer, it's really best at med rare to medium at Most as far as steaks and such. Use it in place of beef In any recipe. A deer and broccoli stir fry would be great!

Here's one I've been wanting to try if you have a roast.
http://honest-food.net/2015/01/12/corned-venison-recipe/

Last edited:
My cousin just gave me deer burger, steaks, and filets. Need recipes. Thanks!

Basically, cook it like beef, but slightly more rare (little pink in the middle). It does not have the fat and cholesterol that beef does.

For the ground meat, find out if he had the processor add some pork to the ground venison. Venison is a very lean meat, and a little pork fat to the ground meat will bring out more flavor. If not, use a little margarine or butter for cooking.

I've made meat loaf, thousands of hamburger, steaks, some roasts, and broiled venison. It is a mild flavored meat, so you can add flavor nuances with just a few spices.

This year, I about overdosed on ground venison, fried onions, a little mayo, and some salsa fried and then served on a section of French bread, slight toasted. Shape the meat to suit the bread's length, cook it with the onions, put the mayo on the bread and stick it in the toaster over. When meat is done, just stack the meat, onions and salsa on top. Salt and pepper to taste, and bring napkins. :)

If some of the cuts are backstrap, that is the most tender meat, and making backstrap medallions, with a little steak sauce, cooked RARE, is about as delicious and tender a meal as you can conjure. I like it with white rice, but that's just me.

You have some good eating ahead. There's nothing exotic about venison.

meeeeaaat.

Very good advise given. Most important .... do not over cook. If you don't believe me, cook one piece med-rare and one well done. Try them and you will see. I could prepare you a med-rare elk backstrap steak that would make you refuse to eat beef over the elk. It may look less favorable with a little "red juice " leaking out but...... wow!

Just an after thought, I'm assuming that you received white tail deer meat? I've never eaten white tail and I'm sure that a Kansas deer, white tail or mule deer would have to taste better than a Utah mule deer. Crops vs. mountain brush and grasses etc. Good luck and good eating.

Last edited:
Rare to medium rare at worst. Serve it hot.. Fresh off the grille, even if it means putting everything else on the plate first before bringing it in off the grille. If your guests or wife and kids are going to balk at cooked to this temp, then cut it up into Chislic sized pieces so they put the entire piece in their mouth, without having to bite into (or cut into) to it to see how rare it is.

I enjoy a little Lawrys on my venison...

Ground venison is wonderful, even without beef or pork fat added. I did my own this year and added no fat for the first time. It is fantastic! Use it exactly like ground beef in tacos, chili, spagetti, casseroles, etc.. It's so lean you can practically skip draining it after you brown it.

If your cousin was not super meticulous and didn't remove the deer's fat very well, you will want to use the meat soon. For some reason deer fat gets rank in a hurry. Even in the freezer it gets gamey in a month or two...:confused:

The backstraps are awesome grilled as long as you don't overcook. Just make sure you remove as much of the membrane as you can.

I don't know about the non-backstrap steaks. I'm sure they're ok, probably just not as tender.

With our deer this year, I saved the tenderloin and backstraps for grilling, sliced the bigger muscles for jerky, and then ground everything else.
:cheers:

I eat quite a bit of deer and this is my favorite.

Take a backstrap steak and pound it as flat as you can get it. Dip in soy sauce and sprinkle with some garlic powder. Spread cream cheese over one side and add diced jalapenos and diced onions. Roll up (like a burrito) and then wrap with a piece of turkey bacon. I cook the turkey bacon a little before wrapping and only use a half piece. Use toothpick to secure the bacon and grill. A couple minutes (doesn't take long) before being done put a slice of your favorite cheese on top and let melt. One of the best tasting things I've ever had!

Thanks for all the great advice and tasty recipe ideas.

I eat quite a bit of deer and this is my favorite.

Take a backstrap steak and pound it as flat as you can get it. Dip in soy sauce and sprinkle with some garlic powder. Spread cream cheese over one side and add diced jalapenos and diced onions. Roll up (like a burrito) and then wrap with a piece of turkey bacon. I cook the turkey bacon a little before wrapping and only use a half piece. Use toothpick to secure the bacon and grill. A couple minutes (doesn't take long) before being done put a slice of your favorite cheese on top and let melt. One of the best tasting things I've ever had!

That does sound pretty good. We did a beef roll up with spinach and bleu cheese last week, but baked it in stoneware instead of grilling. It was pretty fantastic.

I bet there are dozens of pretty awesome variations of the roll up. Thanks for posting this, I will have to give it a shot.

:cheers:

I usually marinate most of my tenderloin and just grill it. I buy any of the pre-made marinade's and like others said it is all about not over cooking.

If I was you i would make some jerky out of it. Just take some of the steaks and cut into thin slices (1/8" or so) and bake at a low temp for 5-8 hours. If you have a jerky gun, use the burger. I am not a huge fan of deer burger (and have an unlimited supply of very lean hamburger) so I usually make mine into jerky or summer sausage. Below is the summer sausage recipe:

4 lb. hamburger
2 tbsp. coarse cracked pepper
2 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. celery seed
5 tbsp. tender quick salt
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
2 c. cold water
Assemble seasonings in water and let set for 1 hour. Add to meat, mix thoroughly. Shape into four logs and refrigerate 24 hours. Bake on cookie sheet at 250 degrees for 3-4 hours or until done.

My brother cooked up some venison steaks tonight and boy were they good! Just salt and pepper and cooked perfectly with a good char but still med rare.:cheers:

Very tasty looking! Hungry now. :p

Back