Deep Hollow Preserve

chewi004

Did a half day hunt this past Saturday at Deep Hollow preserve in Mt. Jackson. Was a little hot for the dogs, and the birds didn't fly real great, but I guess that was to be expected. The guys at the preserve were top notch. We hunted quail, chukar and pheasants. The quail didn't fly well at all, and most ended up caught by the dogs.

We used our own dogs (all GSPs) with mine being the youngest at about 14 months. The 2 older dogs were brothers and they were about 7 years old. These dogs are seasoned veterans and were used in trials and have been numerous places hunting. The owners just don't work with them enough anymore and to me it showed. Now I understand it was hot and they were 7 years old, but they were out of shape. My Gracie never stopped hunting and after awhile these dogs were beat (and when I say awhile I mean about 45 minutes).

Grace did not have any points on the chukar or pheasants. The older dogs found them first. I was a little dissappointed in the way she behaved some of the day as my shock collar broke so she showed her @ss a little. She has never not listened like that before, but I attribute some of it to her being excited and the fact there were 2 other guys with whistles blowing at there dogs and yelling commands. Either way, I feel I am a little behind on some of my obedience training with her...back to work this week. She ended the day with some beautiful and steady points on the quail which was very nice to see.

All in all it was a great trip. While I will not be going there again, I would reccommend it to others. I took my grand father who hadnt been upland hunting in 20+ years, got some good work in for Grace, and went 2 for 2 on quail with my new shotgun :thumbsup: All in all it was a pretty good trip.

Below are a few pics of the hunt. I didn't get any good action pictures..

2z6bfcn.jpg
[/IMG]

34gog20.jpg
[/IMG]

The best part for me wasn't even hunting related. We took a break about 2 hours in and went down to a big pond they have on the preserve to let the dogs cool down. The old dogs went dog and stepped in the water and maybe even swam a short distance. Grace decided to jump in and she swam across the pond and ended up doing 2 laps (it was a pretty big pond). She was loving every second of it.

Everyone kept telling me she is going to burn up all her energy swimming, and I just smiled cause I knew she wouldn't burn up all her energy.

Back