Deep Freeze

Flushedup

Well, this would have been a good weekend opportunity to get out chasing roosters again... with the holidays coming my time is limited this season. Unfortunately the forecasted temps for Saturday and sunday are making the decision for me.

Good luck to any crazy buggers that try it. I have a little time off the week from Christmas to New years so maybe mother nature will relax a bit and allow another hunt then.

I'm in the same boat..no fun with those temps..may drag the Clam and buddy heater out of the garage and try for some slab crappies instead..with lots of fuel! Next week looks much warmer. Let's hope it holds through Christmas. Last weekend the birds were out feeding in undisturbed areas all day. Had fun after limiting out just driving around and watching all the hens and roosters digging in the beans and corn stubble. Remarkable number of roosters still out there..and many (if not most) were adjacent to public land. I think the early wet, and now unsafe ice has kept a whole lot of roosters from getting shot at this year.

I plan on taking the afternoon off of work tomorrow to head out for a few hours. Although it won't be terribly cold then, but there may be some snow falling!

I'm looking at the calendar trying to figure out how many more hunts I can get in now. With the 24th and 25th on a Saturday/Sunday, it means that I get that Friday and Monday off! So I should be able to hunt the 23rd and 26th (will be gone for a family Christmas 23rd evening to 25th). Then I may be able to get in one final hunt late in the day on Jan. 1.

I'm also getting limited on time; unfortunately, i believe my MN pheasant hunting is done for the year, this coming weekend being too windy, MAYBE sunday i'll sneak out, depending on the ice conditions for the fishing. I was supposed to go to SD this weekend but we are postponing it for new years now. good luck for the last couple of weeks:thumbsup:

Managed to bag 1 loud mouthed cackleing rooster this morning thanks to the dog that is she maid a hell of a retrieve on a running rooster ... Was within a hour of the cities...

Looks like next WK I can finely get out & chase some birds wear it was to wet a few WK ago can't wait me and a few buddy's heading out Tue & Thur/Fri.

SD if weather holds good luck all u fellow Dec hunters its been a bad hunting season for me but things looking up for me the next few wks I hope

Last edited:
Haven't check in for a while. Three of us hunted that weekend. Started in Marshall. I swear we saw over a 100 birds but I think 5 of them were roosters. Looks good for next year. Saturday and Sunday we headed up to Ortonville mostly because of the lack of lodging in Marshall. Pretty much the same deal. Walk a lot and saw nothing then have a large flush of grouped up birds. It was cold but not horrible. The three of us only managed 7 birds in the three days. I made one more trip to Marshall by myself and did manage a limit by 2pm. We had a good year in MN and SD!

Back