Debating a Mid-January Kansas Trip…

I wanted to get one last pheasant hunting trip in to SD with my setters, but Mother Nature has something to say about that.. now I’m wondering if a trip down to Kansas would be worth my time depending on weather.. I would love to get into some quail and any pheasants or prairie chickens would be a big bonus. Seems like the Smokey Hills region would be a good starting point. Anyone have any thoughts on this or places to target? I can’t throw in the towel on the season quite yet! But I know nothing about quail, for all I know it’s too late in the year for it to be worth my time.

Your main problem is going to be road time. If you have the time to do a lot of driving and asking permission, you very well might find a glory hole. Be prepared to do a lot of walking if you plan to hunt walk ins. Treat it like a exploratory vacation and you'll be ok. I'm going to the same thing in a week or two.

I am headed for a duck hunt down to El Dorado area in mid January as well. I have never hunted quail, but was told there is a good population of them in the area. Any advice on what to look for for quail cover vs pheasant cover? Also, any advice for when knocking on doors? From Wis., do the local land owners like cheese and beer as gifts?

I am headed for a duck hunt down to El Dorado area in mid January as well. I have never hunted quail, but was told there is a good population of them in the area. Any advice on what to look for for quail cover vs pheasant cover? Also, any advice for when knocking on doors? From Wis., do the local land owners like cheese and beer as gifts?
Everybody loves Wisconsin cheese.

Your main problem is going to be road time. If you have the time to do a lot of driving and asking permission, you very well might find a glory hole. Be prepared to do a lot of walking if you plan to hunt walk ins. Treat it like an exploratory vacation and you'll be ok. I'm going to the same thing in a week or two.
I’ve got plenty of room in my car for Wisconsin Cheese/Beer, I planned to either go to the Salina area or possibly NE corner of the state as that seems to be where the quail are.. any pheasants in either? I’m not opposed to putting miles and miles in at a walk-in to find a few birds, I probably average 2 or 3 miles per pheasant in Wisconsin. If I shot 5 quail over the 5 or so days I’d be there I’d be more than happy. A few good points by the dogs is all I’m after.

There are quail and phez around Salina. But for me the better quail hunting has been farther south.

I think pheasants killed per mile in Kansas are going to be lower than you’re used to in Wisconsin. I’m sure you could shoot 5 quail over 5 days. The stuff russel to hays has all been hit pretty hard. But east of there should be less pressure

I’ve got plenty of room in my car for Wisconsin Cheese/Beer, I planned to either go to the Salina area or possibly NE corner of the state as that seems to be where the quail are.. any pheasants in either? I’m not opposed to putting miles and miles in at a walk-in to find a few birds, I probably average 2 or 3 miles per pheasant in Wisconsin. If I shot 5 quail over the 5 or so days I’d be there I’d be more than happy. A few good points by the dogs is all I’m after.

Salina is generally good quail and chicken country with some pheasants where the cover is ideal. This year I doubt there will be many at all, near Salina or elsewhere. Salina is a population center, though, and is right on I-70, which means public ground gets hunted a lot. Definitely less pressure in Northeast KS, but pheasants are very rare in that area (but are occasionally found) and the habitat in Northeast Kansas, especially on WIHA, is pretty barren. There's very little small grain or edge or weedy cover, quail are usually found in wooded draws and fencerows. Good luck if you decide to venture out. I'd recommend against it. I live in KC, have access to private ground pretty much throughout Kansas, and even so I have only hunted Kansas this year for chickens and one morning chasing quail. You will likely be very disappointed.

I think pheasants killed per mile in Kansas are going to be lower than you’re used to in Wisconsin. I’m sure you could shoot 5 quail over 5 days. The stuff russel to hays has all been hit pretty hard. But east of there should be less
Salina is generally good quail and chicken country with some pheasants where the cover is ideal. This year I doubt there will be many at all, near Salina or elsewhere. Salina is a population center, though, and is right on I-70, which means public ground gets hunted a lot. Definitely less pressure in Northeast KS, but pheasants are very rare in that area (but are occasionally found) and the habitat in Northeast Kansas, especially on WIHA, is pretty barren. There's very little small grain or edge or weedy cover, quail are usually found in wooded draws and fencerows. Good luck if you decide to venture out. I'd recommend against it. I live in KC, have access to private ground pretty much throughout Kansas, and even so I have only hunted Kansas this year for chickens and one morning chasing quail. You will likely be very disappointed.
I’ll have to pray SD has a place or two that’s huntable by mid January then.. my wife is out of the country for work and I either take a hunting trip or find someone to watch my dogs while I work.. and I don’t think there’s much question as to what the right option is. I’d really prefer to blast some pheasants in Kansas, but I’m just looking for the most likely location to get my dogs on a few birds to end the season. Appreciate the honesty! I might have to reconsider.

Saddle up and go , Hunted Kansas for 14 straight years. Went to Nebraska last year , was a bust but had a blast. The thing about quail is , it only takes that 1 really good covey to make a trip fun. Hit some local eats and bars. Meet some people. We hunted there when it was the worst years ever and found birds with hard work.

Saddle up and go , Hunted Kansas for 14 straight years. Went to Nebraska last year , was a bust but had a blast. The thing about quail is , it only takes that 1 really good covey to make a trip fun. Hit some local eats and bars. Meet some people. We hunted there when it was the worst years ever and found birds with hard work.
I like the mindset, it’s either South East SD for whatever roosters made it through the storm, or wherever in Kansas gives me the best chance at a few shots at some kind of bird, I’m not too picky. I’m young and so are my dogs so putting a lot of miles on is not something I’m afraid of. I’ve got the pheasant thing figured out, but it’d be fun to see what quail are all about.

KS publishes pretty good bird reports. If you compare the drought monitor maps from broading season, the bird reports, and WIHA maps you ought to figure a plan. My buddy and I just finished our annual NW KS pheasant hunt. Total bust on pheasants, but saw 7 coveys in 3 days (4 on WIHA, 3 on private). Generally big coveys. Lots of chickens too, but hard to target late season. Not even supposed to be a good quail area really, but the drought didn't hammer them like it did pheasants from what I saw this week.

I like the mindset, it’s either South East SD for whatever roosters made it through the storm, or wherever in Kansas gives me the best chance at a few shots at some kind of bird, I’m not too picky. I’m young and so are my dogs so putting a lot of miles on is not something I’m afraid of. I’ve got the pheasant thing figured out, but it’d be fun to see what quail are all about.
good mindset

Back