De-carbonized barrels?

oldandnew

I spent last year re-conditioning myself to playing around with Damascus barrels. I checked them, magna fluxed them, just can't find the quality of the old guns! I had good patterns, I used hand loaded brass shells, with black powder, psi of around 7000#s. 1-1 1/8 ounces of lead or nice shot. If I want want a maximum harvest, I use automatics, but I find I really don't care, ( sooner or later it happens to us all!). now I have been attracted to a fine Parker with 'decarbonized barrel", I have done some research, and aside from the caution we all grew up with, that no Damascus, twist steel, or decarbonized steel are safe. I assume that magna flux them and with sensible loads of black powder, should be O.K.? Any body used these before? or have some experience with them? In the worse case I could send it to Briley and have a new fluid steel barrels made, but it might wreck a really light handling gun, with pristine barrels by the look.

I spent last year re-conditioning myself to playing around with Damascus barrels. I checked them, magna fluxed them, just can't find the quality of the old guns! I had good patterns, I used hand loaded brass shells, with black powder, psi of around 7000#s. 1-1 1/8 ounces of lead or nice shot. If I want want a maximum harvest, I use automatics, but I find I really don't care, ( sooner or later it happens to us all!). now I have been attracted to a fine Parker with 'decarbonized barrel", I have done some research, and aside from the caution we all grew up with, that no Damascus, twist steel, or decarbonized steel are safe. I assume that magna flux them and with sensible loads of black powder, should be O.K.? Any body used these before? or have some experience with them? In the worse case I could send it to Briley and have a new fluid steel barrels made, but it might wreck a really light handling gun, with pristine barrels by the look.

Oldandnew,

Dam good question. I don't know. I dont own any Parkers or other Damascus guns. At least ones I'd want to shoot. Let us know what you do.:thumbsup:

Back