Dark Meat Recipes

AKSkeeter

Sharptails, Spruce Grouse, Ptarmigan are dark meated birds (as well as ducks and geese)
What is your favorite recipe for these type of birds.
I like to make sharptail enchiladas.

I've tried it many different ways. To me nothing beats this simple way.
cut into strips or chunks. Brine for a day or so.
Batter, deep fry and eat while it's hot.
Simple batter, 1/4 cup corn meal, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour. Tbl. spoon salt, two Tbl. spoon pepper, two Tbl. spoon garlic powder. I sometimes use an egg and a little milk. Dip, batter and repeat for a little more batter. Don't overcook or the cornmeal will burn. :)Also don't cook Pheasant or ruffed grouse at the same time or you won't eat the red stuff.

bacon wrapped, stuffed with an apple wedge, and cooked over charcoal does well. in addition, maybe a baste made with soy, worcesterhire, or something would be good too. with duck a cherry sauce made by simply heating up cherry preserves is good; maybe add a splash of some booze!

Last edited:
Another option is jerky which is what my neighbor does with all his geese.

I'm not a jerky fan...I've had my fill of jerky from 30 years of backcountry hunts!

I think I've shared this one before. If you eat pickled jalapenos, save the juice. I freeze it in zip locks. It makes a great marinade. It doesn't make the meat hot, just gives a nice jalapeno flavor. I used to marinate dove breasts overnight, wrap a piece of bacon around them. Put them on the grill and cook until bacon is done. My wife loves them. Sadley, I lost all my dove spots.

I keep pheasant legs, diver duck meat, goose meat, pigeon, etc. After the season, I grind it for use one of two ways.

1. Mixed 50/50 with ground cheap bacon. Picked up the idea on this forum. It makes an outstanding burger.

2. Mixed with cheap ground pork and the proper spices to make an Italian sausage. Google it. The Italian sausage is then used as a breakfast sausage or in chili recipes.

It does make great summer sausage!! I collect all of the dark meated birds through the year and make one big batch of summer sausage at the end of the season.

Geese aren't edible. Even as jerky they are tough as nails. I'm never eating one again lol
Tough is typically due to overcooking or a very old bird.

The best waterfowl I've ever eaten was a grilled speckle-belly goose.
I like Canada geese from here in Montana. I simply grill the breast rare over hardwood coals
after brushing with olive oil. Let rest for 15 minutes and then slice like roast beef.

Tough is typically due to overcooking or a very old bird.

I've tried preparing it and cooking it several different ways. It all turned out the same. Even my dog won't eat it and she's a bottomless pit.

Pothole filler would be a better use for those oversized rats with feathers.

Back