Damaged gun

JBHandJr

I have an older Stevens 20 ga. SxS. The gun probably isn't worth very much but it has quite a bit of sentimental value.

The issues that I see are severe pitting/rust on the barrels and receiver. The wood is almost mint, but the metal is pretty rough. What can be done? Can I do anything myself or is this something for an expert? I'm in the NE area so if you know someone around here that is qualified let me know.

-Barry-

Removing the rust should be relatively easy. Do a search on the web for "removing rust from guns" and you should get some suggestions. Removing the pits is another thing and quite difficult to do. One site I was on said it was almost easier to leave the pits once the rust has been removed and then re-blue the gun. I think you could do the rust removal yourself but if you want the pits removed I would consult a competent gunsmith experienced in doing this.

I have an older Stevens 20 ga. SxS. The gun probably isn't worth very much but it has quite a bit of sentimental value.

The issues that I see are severe pitting/rust on the barrels and receiver. The wood is almost mint, but the metal is pretty rough. What can be done? Can I do anything myself or is this something for an expert? I'm in the NE area so if you know someone around here that is qualified let me know.

-Barry-

Barry I would remove what rust you can and let it go. Refinishing will hurt the value.:)plus it takes away the history:cheers:

Pick up a pak of "0000" steel wool at the paint store or Wallymart. Apply a coat of light oil and rub, rub, rub, with the steel wool. You will remove any live rust and residue and stop the rusting process. This won't correct pits but on a working gun I could live with that.

If you wish to reblue consult a good gunsmith but be aware that deep pitting is not going away under a new blue job.

BobM

Back