Cut Pad help

Bird Buster

I have a lab that cut a pad badly on my last outing, had a vet look at it and she didn't want to stitch it unbelievably so she used the liquid bandage glue on it and told me to keep a boot on him and he should heal in a couple weeks. Well going on the end of week 2 it is still oozing and appears the glue did not hold it together tight enough to heal as good as it should. Anyone else ever deal with this issue and have any suggestions? I have thought about getting one of the new surgical staplers for canines to staple it shut but it could be too long now to try this probably.

I had the same thing happen with my gsp.It took 6 stitches to close it up. I kept it wrapped with a non-stick pad and adhesive tape.It took some time to heal and kept the pad changed daily.It oozed some for a couple of days then started closing up.I hope this helps.Things can only go up from here.My dog pulled the covering off her nails too so I had to take care of that too. It's just a matter of time for it to heal.I kept a sandwich bag on it when she went out to keep it from getting dirty.

Might be...just might be...the Vet had experience with dogs that needed anesthesia for stitches and didn't want to go through that.

Button, my first wirehair, cut her pad on something. I took her to the local vet in rural WI) and he said, "OK, we'll have to anesthetize her and then stitch."

I said just give her a local and I'll hold her. She'll be fine. The Vet was skeptical, but there was absolutely no problem.

They might be used to farm dogs, or dogs that aren't used to being handled by a firm hand. So far, unless it is surgery, my dogs have been had me cutting nails, pulling out burdock and weed seeds so often that they are used to some pain and manipulation.

For yours, unless you have infection setting in, I'd just protect it. The wound heals from the inside out, so the healing started just about as soon as the injury did.

Best wishes.

Haven't had a cut pad but Vet wrap seems to work pretty well for me when I had a couple broken toenails and needed to stop the bleeding. It is flexible, durable, and stays on well. Could be used inside a boot or on its own.

I know thats not what you were really asking - but just thought of it and thought it might help

Chuck

Back